View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 01:20 AM   #67
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
Please. I put myself through college. I received a couple scholarships, yes, but that only went as far as books for a few semesters. I worked 20 hours a week on campus, and 10 a week off campus. I'm still paying back the student loans. I worked off campus while I was in doctor school, too. We all make sacrifices for the things we think are important.
You and others, like me, paid for most of their college education. I agree with this... although I think if anyone is raping state budgets, it is the State University systems.... Talk about ridiculous pay raises above the inflation line, provided in large part by the state government and even more so by the incredible price gouging and collusion with creditors on the part of Universities to the financial crush of the students. These kids are paying WAY more than we did to go to school... and I still owe $17k in loans, for a degree I have never earned a red cent from. I also imagine, Dr. Onasi, that you earned a decent wage at your jobs while as a student - doctors generally do pretty well financially. Did the taxes you paid to the state gov ruin your chance of getting a new Cayenne. Forgive me for not crying about your tax punishment. You made a good choice, got a good education, and now likely make a great living. These are all good things; why the bitterness towards the 90% that make beans compared to the Doctors lawyers and Captains of Industry of the world? Perspective....
Quote:
My parents didn't give me a darn thing. Why? They didn't have a cushy state job that provided them 100% of their pension and health care so they didn't have the money for it. Asking those parents to contribute 8% or so to their health care and pension? Sorry, I'm not feeling terribly sorry for them when I've effectively taken the same or larger pay cut because I haven't received a raise in my private sector job in 4 years. It's not an unreasonable request to ask every state employee to start contributing SOMETHING to their pensions and health care so that I don't have to pay the 4th highest tax rate in the US.
Since when is teaching 7th-12th graders a cushy job? Or protecting the citizenry from fire or foes? You are talking about the bus drivers again, and extrapolating that to all state unionized employees. That is quite an unfair bias you have there!

I agree that WI has some serious abuse in their systems, it is not unnoticed around the country, and I have known for years that the taxes paid in WI are exceedingly high. All the more reason for regulation and oversight, not for cutting off an arbitrators head arbitrarily. Yes, regulation and oversight means "big" government, a term I am growing more and more sick of. You want people to protect you and yours? That is big government.
Quote:
Try thousands. My hubby was _at_ the protests. Not surprisingly, WI media focused on the protestors and not the supporters.
I don't watch the news much anymore, I listen on talk radio, as most people know it has a generally high right-bias. They talked about the great number of protesters as well... could be sensationalist journalism, or maybe it was just the facts of the matter.
Quote:
So, you're saying they've abandoned their post and effectively have gone on strike illegally? So they let people break into the capital, walk all over union state workers' desks, destroy stuff in the capital, and superglue legislators' doors shut. How mature and honorable of them.
You cannot have it both ways. Those "(im)mature and (dis)honorable people have put their life on the line for the people of the state many times over. Now they are getting hosed royally, especially in light of their significant help in getting Walker elected, likely thinking there would be a benefit to it. That is politics. So is striking when you are getting screwed.

I find it interesting that no one has quoted or responded to my last post. Perhaps it is because the tone was a little angry or defensive; or perhaps you cannot argue those points?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat
...if they feel they are treated unfairly by the government, they should try out the private sector for a while...
Because it is so much HARDER in the REAL world . There is just one world, there are jobs in both sectors that are great and that suck. What exactly are you trying to say?

Want to play a game of ME3MP?
Qui-Gon_Glenn on the software of which we shall not name.... add me and the enemy shall fall in chunks of crimson salsa
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,