View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 06:25 AM   #69
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Glenn View Post
Thanks for pointing out that there are sleazy individuals who are in Union jobs.
Have you missed all the sleazy people outside of them? Or is it just that you prefer your bad eggs to be Union workers?
I am well aware that there are abuses in the system. So are all Union members. So is about any educated and semi-intelligent human being above the age of 18.
Fair enough. I don't believe anyone here has said otherwise, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
Yes, in the case of state employees, we are talking about your tax dollars. What percentage would you say is abusing the system? I have no raw data or figures, but my assumption is that there are the same number of d-bags that are Union workers as those outside the Union. That percentage may be scarily high, but it is by no means a majority, and I would go so far as to say it is in the vast MINORITY of both Union and non-Union workers. The truth is, most people are mostly honest, and have consciences that prevent them from raping the system. The others should be prosecuted, and so if it would please Walker or Jae, I put up the motion that Union members in State employ be held under the same scrutiny that those in the public sector are put to. Find the wingnuts and rapists, and prosecute.
Not necessarily unfair speculation. Might be interesting to find out the exact # of d-bags in all groups that get govt $$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
What you fail to mention in your post, is all of the good people that are getting hosed through this, and the potential ripple effect. If you think it is a good thing that Unions get broken... who is next on the chopping block, and/or what rights will be left for those of you in the public sector when the Unions are squashed?
Seems a bit hyperbolic. Govt unions aren't being squashed so much as reined in b/c we're talking about tax money in a bad economy. Federal workers can't bargain over compensation either and can't even strike, but I don't know of anyone swearing off working in the federal govt b/c of that. Hell, it's benefits are being used as a kind of yardstick on the whole Obamacare thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
I am glad I no longer live in Wisconsin.
Glad I've never lived there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
... although I think if anyone is raping state budgets, it is the State University systems.... Talk about ridiculous pay raises above the inflation line, provided in large part by the state government and even more so by the incredible price gouging and collusion with creditors on the part of Universities to the financial crush of the students. These kids are paying WAY more than we did to go to school... and I still owe $17k in loans, for a degree I have never earned a red cent from.......
I'd say that even private univ are at fault too, though the exorbitant cost of a college education is no excuse for people who later skip out on repaying their loans. However, that said, universities could take a major haircut in funding. Have always found distasteful the gap in the % increase year-on-year between tuition and inflation costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
You cannot have it both ways. Those "(im)mature and (dis)honorable people have put their life on the line for the people of the state many times over. Now they are getting hosed royally, especially in light of their significant help in getting Walker elected, likely thinking there would be a benefit to it. That is politics. So is striking when you are getting screwed.
Was under impression that cops and firemen were excluded from the cuts. Still, doesn't excuse cops from not doing their jobs. You think soldiers (talk about risk out of proportion to compensation) wouldn't like more $$? You don't go into govt work to get rich (at least not till you can trade off your public connections in the private sector.....legally).

Still, you've gotta admit that many of the public sector workers in WI were getting much sweeter financial dealings that they would have in most private sector jobs.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,