View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #83
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Glenn View Post
Thank you for this post. Football funds most of the other sports programs, thus we have funding for all of the Title IX athletics that are worthy in their goal, but are a giant vacuum for revenue.
Yes, yes, I made a flippant comment and suddenly everyone goes nuts over college sports. I take back what I said about football stadiums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
I was not pretending that you could practice medicine without achieving your a,b and c. I also know many medical students land some pretty solid jobs while at university, due either to their connections or their potential, or their brilliance.
Riiiiight..... You have some odd assumptions about doctors' backgrounds, like they're all from rich families with political connections out the wazoo. Do some of them have that? Sure. A couple of my classmates had very well off parents who paid their entire way. Great for them. I came neither from a rich family nor a well-connected one. I had no such resources. My dad finished his associate's degree when I was a kid, and he worked full-time while going to school part-time. It was his example that showed me that I could work and go to school, too. Besides, who's really going to hire a college student for a high-paying job when the student has to go to college during the usual workday and has an ever-changing schedule, particularly in the later years of professional school when their schedules literally change every week due to clinical rotations? Try pretty much no one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
Sorry you flipped burgers, but so did I and many others. I also did other nasty jobs, just like you.
I didn't say that to evoke your pity or your patronization, nor do I want it. I'm proud of every job I worked at. I learned what it was to do good work in any job (and let's face it, most of us do have to learn 'how to work' in our teens), from McDonald's and housekeeping even--how to work with the public even when they're complete jerks, how to handle money very quickly with 100% accuracy, how to clean up biohazardous waste properly, and other skills that help in my profession now.

I pointed it all out to show you that I was a blue-collar female working her ass off to get through school, and that's why I don't have the same level of sympathy for your friend that you do. I didn't have money or connections. Your friend should get off his ass and quit depending on mommy and daddy if he wants his education, too. He became an adult when he was 18. He shouldn't have to depend on mommy and daddy's salaries to fund his schooling, so your argument about mommy and daddy's salary dropping 8% when they've been living high on the hog benefit-wise for years (far, far better than most other states, and far better than most equivalent private sector jobs) does not make me feel sorry for him in the least. His parents might actually be doing him a favor by cutting the apron strings and letting him learn to survive on his own for once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
As for the car I drive and the taxes I pay in my current home state.... You can always bail out of Wisconsin! I know many people that are heartbroken at the thought, but are seriously considering it.
Have you tried to sell a house lately? Aside from that, being within short driving distance of a dad with early dementia, a sister and sister-in-law who both have gone through treatment for cancer means that moving out of the state isn't a viable option right now, unless something truly fantastic came along. And by 'truly fantastic' I mean 'something that would let me fly to and from their homes at any time I wanted whenever they needed me'. Which is not going to happen unless God decides that dropping a few million bucks on my doorstep would be a really cool thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
As for what is wrong with your tax system locally, I agree there is something horribly wrong. Why are all Public Sector employees equally held accountable for this, when it appears that you specifically point out the bus drivers, and I cannot argue that they are overpaid bloated pigs. My friend the Veteran's Home Food Director makes far less than they do, works harder, and is watching his cooks bail on him because they cannot feed a family on the new wage scale. Is he equally guilty of abusing the system, or is he and his staff a victim of bad policy?
Have your friend go apply for a cook position, then. He needs a job to fund his education. In fact, let me know where it is, because I know a number of people in my town who are out of work and would love to have any kind of work right now.
The wage scale hasn't even changed yet since the law just got passed and is still kind of in limbo with the restraining orders, so I'm not sure why the cooks are bailing on your Food Director friend.

It's not just the bus drivers that are grossly abusing the system, but their abuse was certainly some of the most egregious. Prison workers are also abusing the overtime rules. Some of these people call around to their coworkers and determine who should call in sick that day so the other guys can get their overtime. There are teachers who are so bad at teaching that they're put into 'administrative jobs' because they can't be fired due to union rules. We, the taxpayers, have to pay for that 'administrative job', which means sitting around doing squat all day, because the work rules don't allow the school districts the freedom to get rid of truly awful teachers. Why in the world should I be paying for a bad worker to sit on their butts watching TV all day because some union rules prevent it?

Why, as a taxpayer, is it unreasonable for me to ask state workers to help contribute to their own pension funds and their own health insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
I was under the belief that the Cops and Fireman bailed on the system because Walker reneged on that portion of their special deal. If that is a mistake on my part, I apologize and tend to agree with you. If they were reneged on, I then reinstate my belief that what they did was right.
The cops and firefighters, as far as I know, are specifically excluded from the collective bargaining law. By the way, the unions can still collective bargain on wages. They simply can't bargain anymore on work rules and benefits, and force the state to use a health insurance company that costs the state significantly more for premiums than other health insurance companies charge for the same coverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
The government is supposed to be "by the people, for the people" and what Walker did is far less than that. It is our responsibility to ACT (or not act) when the Government is hosing us - it is what the founding fathers wanted expressly.
If 'the people', which apparently only means "Democrats" in your lexicon, had gotten off their butts in November and voted for the senators and governor they wanted, the GOP would not have won the overwhelming majority it has now. We live in a democratic republic. Wisconsin voters spoke last November. They wanted someone who wasn't going to be another Doyle.

Walker's record in Milwaukee county should have been very clear evidence of how he was going to handle things at the state level. He is a guy who slashes costs. Were WI voters expecting him to roll over for the unions at the state level when he didn't at the Milwaukee county level?

Protesting? I have no problem with that. Go for it.

Gluing doors shut and doing millions of dollars of damage to the state building? I have a huge problem with that. Protesting is not illegal. Breaking and entering, and destroying property, IS illegal. Intentionally leaving civilians unprotected because a cop wants to support his union brothers and sisters? Illegal and entirely immoral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
Your assessment of teacher's in secondary education is a little lacking perhaps in experience or perspective.

Right, like I never went through the public school system or work with teachers right now while my kids go through school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
My mother was an English teacher for many years, my Grandmother taught school in a one-room schoolhouse for much of her younger life until teaching in "modern" schools until retirement. Both of those women worked many, many hours at home, which you might consider their just reward for having the spring and summer break. Whether that is right or not, you grossly underestimate how much personal time the teachers of your children do or will spend on the education and betterment of your children. Whether they are succeeding or no is a totally different question, but to simply say they have a cake job is just wrong.
My mother was an elementary school teacher, too. I have helped out by volunteering in my kids' classroom as time allows. I help out at music events, although not much in the couple years due to all the health problems hammering the entire family. The exceptional teachers may put in long hours. The average ones? Not so much. The poor ones don't care one iota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
And BTW, is Milwaukee some sort of Utopia? I think it is just about as rough as Chicago, and has equally nasty corners.
I've lived in Chicago. Milwaukee may have a crap school system and the highest crime in the state, but the city and the school system are not nearly as bad as Chicago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
As to my venting, a mirror might be a good thing to look at. I am not saying you are wrong to vent, but if you are venting less than I am, I am a monkey's Uncle.
I didn't say you weren't venting, nor do I care that you vented. Expecting me to answer what is clearly a vent rather than an argument, is not reasonable, however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
As to what Darth Dan 012 said about collective bargaining, you have misquoted or mistaken his words.
I knew exactly who he was talking about. I also know what Reagan did when the air traffic controllers walked off their jobs. WI teachers and the other state workers who walked off their jobs to go protest are lucky that Walker didn't pull a Gipper on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
I believe, although he was not specific, that he was talking about the typical Republican darling, Ronald "The Gipper" Reagan. Search for his 1980 speech to the Polish people... and you will understand Dan's statement. Whether it is a real "human right" or not is debatable, but again you are telling the forum what should and should not be, rather than making an argument. Is that fair?
Please. WI is not a communist state like Poland was at that time. The two can't even remotely be compared. That's comparing apples to the spaghetti monster.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,