View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 03:49 PM   #31
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333 View Post
Woot! The beast has arrived! It is so silent and fast ! I already love this SSD drive (I ended up buying a Crucial Sata III ssd to go with the new mobo in lieu of the Corsair though )

I feel like a kid who got her dream toy at xmas

Playing with the new toy this weekend will likely make me "remember" my late-teens on Monday morning
Oh, I missed this earlier. Glad you got it and everything works OK.

The SSD should make a world of difference in day-to-day operations. That C300 is supposed to be the fastest of the generation 2 SSDs. I didn't think of it because it's SATA 3 and I've only been researching SATA 2 drives because the Marvell SATA 3 controller on my motherboard is worthless. Your SATA 3 controller is an Intel, so you should be fine. This stuff is still pretty new, though.

I picked up a couple of tips on how best to save space on that SSD. First, you may want to move the "My" folders (My Documents, etc.) onto the spindle drive. Those can take up a lot a space, but their contents generally don't require high performance since they're basically storage.

Second, since you've got 8GB of RAM, you can minimize the page file and make the minimum and maximum sizes the same, so that it takes up a consistent amount of space on the SSD. I do not recommend moving it to the spindle drive like I've read elsewhere, however.

I thought this third one up myself, though someone else has probably already thought of it and I just haven't read about it. Games take up a lot of space, and, if you're like me, you've got a lot of games. My solution is simple. You can install them all and then move the installation folders over to the spindle drive, keeping only the folders of the games that you're presently playing on the SSD and switching them out when you need to. It's not a perfect solution, but at least you won't have to keep uninstalling/reinstalling your games.

Remember to use no more than 75% of your SSD's capacity so that TRIM will have the necessary free space to do its job.

Have fun with your new toy!

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,