View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #7
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
No one could calm the boy, not even the staff in a program for children with behavior problems like him. So they called police, who had intervened with Aidan twice before.
When the police need to be called to deal with any student (especially one so young), things are out of hand. When they're called for the third time, people should be asking why the kid's allowed to attend a school where his mental problems cannot be fully addressed, and he is a serious danger to other students. I'd assume the only reason no teacher physically restrained him was fear of getting sued/fired for hurting a kid, since an 8 year old (even with a sharp object/knife), is pretty easy to take down.

Quote:
squirt hit him on the side of his face ... Aidan and his mother went on national talk shows on Wednesday to say using pepper spray on an unruly 8-year-old was too much. ... Paramedics were treating his red, irritated face with cool water ... On Wednesday, Mandy Elliott said she wished authorities had chosen to talk him down. She also wanted police to get special training in dealing with children. Aidan has since transferred to another school.
This just pissed me off. Pepper spray hurts a lot (I've felt it multiple times in training), but this kid didn't even get it in his eyes, from what I've read. Another article said he was treated for 'minor skin irritation'. The kid got off easy. The most common reaction I've seen from people is "so 2 cops couldn't disarm one child without pepper spraying him?". These people don't seem to comprehend that 8 year olds are pretty breakable, and getting physical could cause an actual injury, instead of some irritated skin. In other words, using pepper spray on an 8 year old who is far beyond "unruly" (try destructive and violent instead), is, if anything, too little.

The kid's idiot mother, whose terrible parenting skills no doubt contributed to, if not flat out created, his issues, can't accept her share of the blame, and has the audacity to criticize the police for not "talking him down", "using excessive force", and "treating him like a common criminal". Of course this means that they should be forced to go through special training to deal with her dear little future felon. The police had already talked the kid down twice. That should have told her to get her act together parenting-wise, but it didn't. The kid is a 'common criminal' (albeit a young one), so of course that's how he'll be treated. Perhaps she is the one needing to get special training in dealing with children.

She's been leaving the school and the police to do her job, and is now blaming them when it doesn't go the way she wants. Based on her unwillingness to accept any responsibility, and the kid's current attitude/behavior, I am 100% certain that, unless he is mostly raised by someone else from now on (mental problem boarding school, foster care, etc.), little Aidan will one day be wasting my tax dollars, sitting in prison.

TL;DR Version: The kid deserved it and the mom should learn how to be a parent instead of blaming everyone else.

--Too Dumb to Quit--

Last edited by Liverandbacon; 04-07-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,