Thread: Mass Effect 3
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #211
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
It's actually not that different in principle (and motivation), but I'll assume you mean that you aren't bothered by the former as opposed to the latter. Both examples are fairly jarring to my mind when compared to their respective forebears, but to each their own.
I see where you're coming from, but I guess I just feel that one type of cut corner hurts the gameplay significantly (reusing levels so many times makes people use the same strategies, know where everything will be, etc.), while the other doesn't really do much harm in that regard (with the same collection of humanoid character models, you can have a bunch of different enemy types, after all, a real life nation's soldiers are all human shaped and have similar uniforms, and there's plenty of variation).

Also, I'd feel like a massive hypocrite, since I didn't care when Fallout 2 reused a huge amount of graphical material from Fallout 1, and this seems like pretty much the same situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Another ME3 article

I'm interested to see how the "permanent" vs "temporary" squad mate dynamic plays out. I'm sure a lot of nervous Tali fanboys are too.

spoiler:
EDIT: Ooo! Who doesn't love hot Reaper-on-Thresher-Maw action?
I'll believe the bit about 'chessboard' AI once I see it. Video game AI hasn't really improved since F.E.A.R in 2005 (though if we're talking about sandbox AI, S.T.A.L.K.E.R's was pretty good). In fact, I'm not sure I've seen much AI that's even equal with F.E.A.R's.

Temporary squadmates seems like a good idea, since it allows for the return of characters that could die, but doesn't force those who let it happen to miss out on huge chunks of content.

Reaper vs. Thresher Maw seems less of a good idea. Considering you could ravage thresher maws easily in a scouting tank, and even kill them with small arms fire on foot, whereas it took a long, concerted attack by entire fleets to destroy one Reaper, I don't see how they can make that fight make any sense. Either the Reapers are insanely weak (thus not a threat to any spaceship), or Thresher Maws have just been made a few million times stronger (in which case, how has anything survived on Tuchanka or any other planet they populate?). The only reason I can see is 'it just looks cool'; whether that's enough is a matter of taste, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstr kenobi View Post
Actually i did, i just got bored out of my mind with the, "poor quarians got their asses kicked by the toaster", and the "daddy never hugged me one in ME1".
And than, even though i'm a mean bastard towards her, she loves me!!!! I was dissapointed that i couldn't tell her "no way bucket girl" right to her face/bucket.
I'm not saying she's badly written, the romance comes out of nowhere but that happens, or anything... she just bothers me!!!

So i killed her , over and over and over again, and in a number of different ways lol (taken by the bugs is my favorite ).
Oh god. Hide before ChAiNz comes back.

Hit And Run Poster Extraordinaire
--Too Dumb to Quit--

Last edited by Liverandbacon; 04-11-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: noticed a grammar mistake
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,