View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #94
mstr kenobi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Is it so hard to remember "Lynk Former" when the name is right there? And besides, people should just call me "Lynk".
Sorry, Lynk it is.

Quote:
I understand my parents just fine and they choose to speak Hindi to me about everything. I understand them even when its a complex conversation just as long as they don't talk too fast. Some other Indians who speak Hindi to me don't realise that I can't understand them if they start talking too fast so I kind of get lost when they do.

Anyway, I have the same kinds of conversations with my parents as I do with everyone else who speaks English to me. There is no difference other than my brain working a little harder to interpret.
You left me with doubts with the way you said it, that you can't really translate what they are saying, so i was confused about what extent you were talking about, now it's clear what you mean.

I have cousins of Japanese decent, and they speak just a few words because no one but their grandma talks to them in japanese, they can take care of their grandma and survive, but they can't really talk to her, i thought you were on the same boat, but i was wrong.

Quote:
As for Chewie... he isn't Han's pet dog, he's a sentient being from a very advanced culture and has a language which is pretty complex based on everything we know about Wookiees through Star Wars canon. Han has spent many years with Chewie and over time he's developed an understanding of the Wookiee language. He can't speak it himself because he doesn't have the physical capabilities as a human, but he understands it.

How is that so hard to understand? There are many Africans who have that strange click-pop language going on that is far beyond me in terms of what the hell they're saying or how to do it myself, but that doesn't mean they're a bunch of dogs who only express emotional states. It's just a different culture who has developed a different form of language that seems alien to the rest of us.

So yeah, based on my own experience and what I know, I wouldn't say that this particular thing in the Star Wars universe is strange at all.
Well, when talking about dogs i've added that Wookies aren't like dogs, they are capable of simple verbal communication (heck first thing Chewie does on screen is have a quick chat with Obi Wan), I've also said that i let Han slide, it kinda makes sense for him to be able to figure at least something out.
Not sure about the others though.
Wookies, although intelligent, aren't always treated like that throughout the movies, and the fact that we don't see any of them (out of their homeworld of course) make they seem a bit reclusive.

But yeah your personal experience, now that it's fully fleshed out, changes things a bit.
You really don't know anything that makes it easier for you? Sometimes a just a few words helps a lot.

Quote:
Also, just to point this out, but Luke (and Anakin before him) does it with Artoo as well, but only after he gets to know the droid
I've always thought, that the only time they had direct, you ask> i answer conversations , was through the ship display, i might be wrong.

R2 "speech" pattern would probably be some kind of morse code anyway.

Quote:
How do you know?
Well, dogs aren't capable of simple verbal communication, not to humans, not to other dogs.
A dog's bark is a (small) part of their ways of communicating, and not a form of communication in on itself. This is common knowledge about dogs.

Last edited by mstr kenobi; 04-30-2011 at 06:31 PM.
mstr kenobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,