View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #97
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstr kenobi View Post
Not sure if i buy the non-verbal part, Chewbacca communicates just fine without relying on pointing and signs, and if he uses things likes scents to communicate to other Wookies that wouldn't be a easy thing for humans to detect (perhaps if you have force translate it becomes easier ).
Most communication he does in the movies is through verbal means.
I'm going to have to explain a few things... I'm a student of media and communication so I've been learning about all this kind of stuff for the last few years.

Non-verbal communication isn't necessarily something that's noticeable. EVERYONE, every single one of us engages in non-verbal communication whether we realise it or not and different cultures have different ways of expressing it.

People, including made up characters because they're either being played by people or are created by people to be interpreted by other people, all have forms of non-verbal communication. The characters who feel the most real are the ones that have been created with this in mind. Why? Because humans CAN detect subtle forms of non-verbal communication. Most people just don't notice it consciously, but everyone can interpret (and misinterpret) it.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,