View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #80
Mandalorian Knight
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Why did they go in and kill him instead of capturing him? I know a lot of people see this as "justice" but since I'm Australian and we don't have a death penalty here... it doesn't seem like "justice" to me...
It may not be official policy, but unofficially the word has been to shoot to kill. There is a book called "Kill Bin Laden: A Delta Force Commander's Account of the Hunt for the World's Most Wanted Man" that is about hunting him in Tora Bora in 2004. He says he was told by command to kill him if they found him. I think the reasoning behind that has to do with avoiding a media spectacle of a trial and the morale boost it would give to a large number of Americans (as seen on the news).

As far as justice goes, I can understand an aversion to the death penalty when dealing with a murder or homicide. However, Bin Laden planned multiple terrorist operations as well as calling for attacks on the United States. Capital punishment may not be the answer to the man who stabbed his wife in a fit of anger, but Bin Laden was responsible, either directly or indirectly, for the death of thousands.
This is the wrong thread to bring up a debate about capital punishment, so I won't say anymore. I'm just trying to explain how some people see it as justice.
Mandalorian Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,