Thread: MMO VS Kotor
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 02:37 AM   #16
TheRogueForums
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkiller1157
The old republic isn't the only familiar era. It's Star Wars. People will accept it no matter what time it takes place.
I beg to differ, on the accepting any era remark. The Old Republic era was hugely successful, and still has a strong following today. Tons of people still play the KOTOR games, despite them being old as Father Time now. TOR is probably the best time frame right now, for many reasons, for BioWare to fit their game into.
Quote:
O_o Dude, lighten up. I'm just expressing my thoughts, its just a game.
Totally cool. And we're just expressing ours.
Quote:
Because this MMO does not look or give the feel to the Kotor Era. I respect you opinino to say it expands it, but I disagree. You shouldn't start a series and after getting fans into the characters jump far enough to where they are all dead and you expect the fans to just go "oh well."
But they aren't- BioWare has already stated they intend to tie up the loose ends from the KOTOR games. Characters who do NOT make a cameo in the game will still have mentions. The Revan story will come to a close, finally. It's already confirmed the galaxy's most favorite meatbag killer will be in the game. What more do you want?
Quote:
So you saying only since the MMO its known as the Old republic era? What were fans calling it when the first Kotor games came out? Just the ancient times. Knights of the Old Republic is an era in itself.
Erm... Knights of THE OLD REPUBLIC. A tad self-evident.

Quote:
And to be honest I was unimpressed in Kotor 1 when they meantion the real Jedi council was on Coruscant. I'd be been nice if they changed the history instead of always being a particular way for thousands of years.
Then you're in LUCK! The Council is NOT on Coruscant. It' resides on Tython now- the ancient homeworld of the Jedi. The planet itself is a proving ground- wild and untamed, with danger and beauty lurking around every corner. It is a nice departure from the regular scene of Coruscant for the Jedi.

Quote:
They could done the Era after Return of the Jedi where it would make more sense. About re-establishing the Jedi Order and the rise of the Sith again.

Or they could of stayed in the era or made it longer then 300 years between the Kotor. It's a Kotor rip-off as far as I'm concerned. If they weren't going to continue the storyline of the previous games I see no point in setting it so close to it.
I consider myself an avid Star Wars fan- but I know jack about anything after ROTJ. BioWare knows this.

In press releases asking why the game was to be set in such an unfamiliar timeframe, and long before the movies, BioWare said they chose the time of The Old Republic, because it allowed them greater creative bounds, and to develop a history for an era of Star Wars we know little about. I think it's a beautiful time frame for them to choose.

To follow up on the rip-off remark. Yes! You're catching on! This IS a rip-off, of sorts. It's rips off the KOTOR games, sort of, because it CONTINUES them Instead of taking us in the linear path of Revan or the Exile, BioWare has chosen to allow all of us to be iconic characters in the Old Republic time line. While they tie up the loose ends, we still have the ability to develop our own story. I honestly do not think you're grasping the fact this is an MMO, with different concepts. A particular perspective, like playing as Revan or the Exile, would not fit in an MMO.

TheRogueForums is offline   you may: quote & reply,