Thread: Dragon Age 2
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #412
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
It's not so bad as to warrant a 1 or a 2. I think a 6 is an accurate score (as accurate as number can get, at least) for DA2.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't make it a 1 or 2. I'd give it a 5 probably, since it felt very mediocre. Though I actually wouldn't give it anything, since I think a number score is going to be pretty arbitrary no matter what, and should only be assigned to give Metacritic something to work with. A review of major pros and cons, followed by a 'definitely buy it', 'consider it', or 'avoid it', would be better.

Anyway, while I might not give it a 1 from my own opinions, if I were assigned to read Tysy's review and assign a number, it'd be in the 1-4 range.

My personal feelings? DA:O was a good, though flawed, game, that couldn't quite decide whether it wanted to appeal to old-school RPGers or a newer audience. Fun, but can't touch the Holy Trinity.

DA2 decided who it wanted to appeal to, coming down firmly on the 'newer audience' side of the fence. This made the people who liked old-school RPGs annoyed (for instance me, and to an even greater extent, large portions of the Codex). Unfortunately for Bioware, certain design decisions annoyed the 'newer audience' as well.

My hope would be for DA3 to be a shift back towards the old-school RPG type, even if it ended up just sitting on the fence like DA:O did.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,