View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #446
Al_Ciao
Rookie

Current Game: SWTOR, Skyrim
I'm in the middle of reading a whole bunch of things, actually.

Arion - Lord of Atlantis
This was a 42-issue comic book run in the 80s, published by DC Comics. It was sword-and-sorcery, but wasn't totally typical of the genre. Technology existed side by side with magic, and the first issue is in space! I lurve magic and fantasy in space!

JLA Classified
Yes, another comic book series, a 54-issue run starting in the mid 2000s. It's a bunch of untold adventures of the superhero team Justice League of America. Well illustrated and (for the most part) well told, I probably enjoy it more than most because I'm a big JLA fan.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians
A five book series that was recommended to me by a close friend. Written for young adults, but people of all ages can get into it. Much like Harry Potter, except with Greek mythology rather than witchcraft and wizardry. Yes, that's a simplistic comparison that doesn't take into account all the nuances, but it's a nutshell explanation. I'm VERY much enjoying this, and am on the fourth book now.

Star Wars: The New Jedi Order
A 19-book series set in the Star Wars Expanded Universe, taking place approximately 20-25 years after Return of the Jedi. I never could finish the whole thing when it came out, and I'm having trouble getting through it now. Even though I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan, this particular series doesn't seem particularly StarWarsy, with the Yuuzhan Vong and such. I mean, I understand you can do the Empire and Sith only so much, but still! But by God, I will finish it, however slowly and torturously I must do it.

Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks
A sci-fi novel, first in the "Culture" series. I got it after I read about what the titular Culture was supposed to be, a super-advanced post-scarcity society where everyone can get what they want super-easy, and their top agents carry a planet-killer in their pocket. Upon actually reading it, I've been a little disappointed, as (a) there is another culture of supremely advanced aliens even more advanced than the Culture, which kind of spoils the effect, and (b) the story isn't told from within the Culture.

War of the Twins by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
Second book in the Dragonlance Legends trilogy. An awesome fantasy series in an awesome fantasy setting. Raistlin Majere rocks! He is one of the most bad-a** characters I've seen in a book, yet he's physically puny and ill. Amazing.
Al_Ciao is offline   you may: quote & reply,