View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
JCarter426

The sound effects are in a different format than the music, and Miles will not read them properly. If I had to guess, I'd say it's because the music is mono, playing evenly throughout the entire level, while the sound effects are adaptive; they are placed in the module just like other object - what you hear is based on where your character is in the level and even in which direction you are facing. As far as I know, no one has yet cracked the format. You can, however, extract most of these sounds with KOTOR Tool (BIFs -> sounds.bif ->WAV Files); these extract as simple WAV files - no need to convert with Miles. For the ones that aren't in there, I find them in StreamSounds and copy them to Override, renaming them to replace some other sound effect, one from the game menu - such as gui_click.wav. That lets me hear the effect on its own, with no other game noises interfering. I then record my Windows audio with Audacity. It's a bit of a procedure, but most of them are in KOTOR Tool to begin with, so it's not so bad.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,