View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #237
snommism
Rookie

I might not be the best help as my sawbones is only level 35, but I also have been running HMFPs and Ops (hard & soft modes) on my main for just over a month now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Although from what Iíve been reading Iím not the only one that sucks at healing with a sawbones. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=282986
I personally see that as a challenge But I tend to play the "crappy" class.

Quote:
How I solved this in solo was to fire my default blaster attack until I built up energy enough to use heal again.
IMO, you should be healing 100% of the time when in a group. Unless you are consistently wiping to a boss' enrage timer because the party just isn't putting out enough DPS.

Quote:
Diagnostic Scan also works here for building up energy, the problem is it takes forever to cast and provides very little healing. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=281921
Its small, but used in place of the aforementioned blaster attacks might make up for it.

Quote:
Cool Head which is the best way to regenerate energy has a 2 min cooldown. So after I use up the energy from it, sometime I still have 1 min to wait for Cool Head to be an option.
Its not drastic, but you also have pugnacity (i think is the name/spelling)

Quote:
Iíve been told not to attack in combat, but Iím thinking that means do not attack with attacks that take energy. Is it alright for me to use the default attack that restores energy? Could that cause me to pull aggro from the tank? I wouldnít think the default attack would draw more aggro than a big heal, but I donít know.
see previous comment. IMO, tank makes sure they have aggro, DPS makes sure things die, healers keep everyone healed.

Quote:
So my problem is how to stay out of harms way, but within the range of everyone in the group while also keeping them all within my line of sight. If they are out of sight (behind cover or up a ramp), I cannot heal? Best I can do is cast Kolto Cloud and hope they are with 10 meters of whoever I targeted.
I think your tank should be keeping things off you. If you are getting hit then you need to call out "get these things off me!"

Quote:
No that isnít what I mean, but when I suddenly get aggro, can I disappear to get the mob off my butt? I know I have the ability, but isnít that going to suddenly put the mob on someone else?
To be blunt, this is the tanks concern. Your concern is keeping everyone healed and you have to be alive to do so I think if the above mentioned suggestion for the tank to regain control of the fight fails, going invis is a viable option.

Quote:
Disappearing Act does have a 3 min cooling off period, so I like to save it for the in-combat revive that sawbones has.
Just a heads up for operations, all healers (or just sages?) also have battle res, and they share one cool down, so be sure to confirm who is getting res'ed.

Quote:
4. Anything else anyone can think of?
As I said at the top, I'm not the absolute best to give advise, but I would say to tweak your spell rotation. I try to make sure everyone has HoTs (slow release) on, especially since that gives upper hand, spam medscan and throw the larger heals as needed.

Quote:
Loved the smuggler story and I have really had fun playing her, but from what I have read today I may have really gimped myself by choosing that class as a healer.
This makes me very excited to get the last 13levels on my Sawbones! I really enjoy the underdog classes. Speaking from a developers point of view, I really don't think it is even possible for them to be as terrible as people say, I just assume most people want to play the click to win classes. So personally I would stick it out BUT, you can always re-roll, leveling is not that difficult.

Quote:
This is my build right now. http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#701rffrdGRRdsZ0M.1 if you have any tips.
Looks like a very solid build. The only difference between that and mine is I didn't put any points into "anatomy lessons" (reduces cost of atk spells) as I don't attack, and "scar tissue" (reduces dmg taken) as I don't plan to get hit. Instead, I put the points in "survivors scars" & "no holds barred"

Quote:
From everything I've read today, if you are going healer, Jedi Sage is the way to go. They are saying even trooper healer is a better fit. Which I cannot believe that is the case.
Sage does have its benefits, I've heard their best quality is their AoE heal. Personally I will never roll one because they have been titled the best. I don't have any experience with trooper healers over level 30 so I can't comment there.

I hope that helps some and good luck!
snommism is offline   you may: quote & reply,