View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #44
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Gamers understand why devs (or should I say, publishers) want to make money. What they are fighting against is the wrong preconception some have against PC gaming. At least I do.

When people say consoles sell more than PC, what exactly are they saying? That 3 different plataforms sell more than one?
I was going to write up a huge post about this but it's easier on all of us just to do dot points...

- You mean 2 consoles, can't count Wii in this since it's not on par with the PS3 and 360.

- PCs are not standardised like consoles are, every PC is different and it takes a lot more time/money/effort for developers to make PC games because of this.

- Console gaming population is huge and still growing and tend to spend A LOT more money than PC gamers do.

- Developers have more control over their games on consoles. Developers/publishers try to exercise this on PC by the way of DRM... which isn't very popular.

- The majority of consumers want accessibility in their games. Insert disc, push start... start playing. Easy. Consoles do this, PC doesn't... developers know this.

...now what I want to know is what are these "wrong preconceptions" developers have of the entire PC gaming platform? I mean, a lot of them have been developing PC games for a long time before they started to trend to consoles. Obviously something is happening that is making them do that... but if they're wrong for doing it, why?

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,