Thread: Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
irish_texan
Rookie

Current Game: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Academy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMuffin View Post
Actually, I reckon JA would have been more interesting if it had been more different. Chasing Tavion would be like chasing Desann in JO. It would have been fine, but it could have been better too.

The "normal life" part is boring because it wasn't developped enough in my opinion. If we could wander around the Temple between missions, find goodies/whatevers, actually train like Jedi are supposed to do, pass various tests, etc., and if your mission choice actually meant something, I think it would have been more interesting. In its current state, what they did was to cut out what could have been interesting and unique, and slap random levels of sabre slaughter with a plot hook at the end.

Basically, I think JA should have had a persistant-type of campaign with more RPG elements thrown in. Instead of just playing a random guy through the levels, you would play the character you created - a jedi apprentice. For example, after character creation and the prologue you end up in the Temple and when you load the character (instead of just a random save) you pop back there. Your character could develop various stats/abilities in addition to foce powers, etc.

Just my thoughts =p

My idea of JA would be a shooter using exactly the same engine, but with more customisation and a story mode that would actually make you feel like you really are an apprentice. The premise of being able to customise your own character and choose the missions you wanted to undertake was rather misleading considering that the game is basically a totally linear and simplistic succession of levels.

No d20 rules that dictate how combat should go, no extensive dialogues, no companions to travel with you. Just *something* to make the whole experience more believable. Heck, a simple "home base" map (temple) instead of the menu-like mission selection would have been neat.
i totally agree; that would have been a really cool premise for a game. i think they really botched what could have been a fun game when they made JKA.
irish_texan is offline   you may: quote & reply,