View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #1338
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Watch Dogs (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
I said back when ME2 came out that they had painted themselves into a corner with the "everyone can die!" suicide mission central mechanic and it was going to come back and bite them in the ass in ME3. It instantly relegated the entire ME2 cast to small throw-away roles in ME3 to minimise dialogue that might never be seen by players or would need to be duplicated by a stand-in character. Only Tali and Garrus got any sort of reprieve in that regard. Garrus because he seems to be both a Bioware and fan favourite and Tali purely on the strength of fan love alone. As I noted in a previous post, the Virmire Survivor got particularly short shrift which is somewhat baffling after being virtually left out of ME2 (to much fan derision) seemingly to save them for a starring role in ME3. The same was the case with Liara, although she fared much better in ME3. There were a lot of great moments with the squad members, but as you allude to the ambient-style dialogue for the most part instead of proper conversations was a bit of a letdown.
Agreed. Though I expected past characters to return simply in a cameo fashion, so I wasn't really disappointed with that aspect. However, the lack of full conversations with the current squad was disturbing. Liara did indeed get more attention than the rest, simply because she's "safe" - I don't recall there ever being a possibility to kill her off in the previous two games. As for the Virmire Survivor, I don't understand why they handled them the way they did either, but at least the VS was handled better than the Surviving Sibling from DA2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Show spoiler
Those and other similar instances were, IMO, the best moments in the game in terms of story/narrative.

Interestingly, there is a wild theory going on about the current endings (link to Bioware Social thread - it even has pictures!). I don't think the people speculating about this are anywhere near right, but it is an interesting theory.

On a side note, yet related to one of the endings and too funny not to post:

Show spoiler

EDIT: Thanks, mim. Btw, I was just lurking around Bioware Social some more and stumbled upon a thread with a youtube link that made me LOL some more (again related to the endings, thus spoiler tags):

Show spoiler

Moderator note [03-16-2012 05:38 PM]

tried to fix the photo to show up, no luck so just changed it to a link...but worth following the link. I LOL.

Last edited by igyman; 03-16-2012 at 06:35 PM.
igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,