View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #59
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalforever View Post
HK-47 does tell the Exile this when he/she asks him if Revan was training Jedi and converting them at Malachor.
That was during the Jedi Civil War, after the Mandalorian Wars. Malachor was one of the centers of Revan's Sith Empire, as it continued to be even after his supposed death, Malak's death, and Revan's disappearance. My theory is that Malak and most of the other Sith didn't actually know about it, at least not to the fullest extent, and that's how it survived the Jedi Civil War. It is said in the loading screen hints - and in "Chronicles of the Old Republic", though while technically canon it's full of continuity errors - that the Sith rediscovered Malachor by following the echo to its source, or something along those lines. This is pretty much the same thing the Exile does at the end of the game, incidentally.
Quote:
I don't understand the difference between a Wound and an Echo.
A wound in the Force is just an absence, a hole. It's described as a place where it's difficult to sense the Force. Wounds are formed from pain and suffering, such as when death takes place on a great scale - either all at once like Malachor, or slowly over time like Korriban. And they can form inside a person as well, under the right conditions.

An echo, as best I can describe it, is a ripple in the Force. Everything is connected by the Force, so everything affects everything else in some small way, through these echoes. When Vader says he senses "a tremor in the Force" from Obi-Wan, that's what he's talking about; Obi-Wan is strong in the Force, and the Force connects everything, so Obi-Wan affects everything in the universe in some small way, which Vader can sense.

The echoes caused by wounds in the Force are ones that never seem to stop; they're ripples that keep on rippling, without purpose and with no final destination. Kind of like an incomplete story.
Quote:
What do you mean when you say it "resonates with other wounds"?
I mean it's connected to the other wounds, and they draw strength from each other. Their echoes overlap, resonate, and grow.
Quote:
And you said the echoes do something to the Exile but he/she only becomes stronger. What does that mean? Kreia thinks the echoes can do good things too?
Kreia thinks the Force is bad, because you can't have free will if there is a Force that has a will of its own and the means to control you. So she believes the Exile becomes a stronger person for turning away from the Force. But more generally, she believes in learning through conflict, that good can come from bad.

Whether you agree with her about the Force is irrelevant; just look at how the Exile progresses in the game. The Exile was said to be a mediocre student, and yet even Vrook is impressed at how quickly he/she is able to learn - to the point where this terrifies them in the dark side version - and draw so many followers, drawing strength from them all as well. They explain that it's because the Exile's bonding ability has grown stronger; the war essentially unlocked the Exile's potential. Good or bad, Malachor was a learning experience.
Quote:
What do these echoes have to do with the Exile's bonding ability?
Well, this is more my theory than anything directly stated in the game - well, most everything is with this game, really. The Exile formed bonds with all the soldiers under him/her, that's established. And it's the pain of their deaths that forces the Exile to turn away from the Force. We also know that the wound at Malachor is different from previous wounds in the Force. I believe it's a direct result of the Exile's bonding ability; the Exile is still connected to all those dead soldiers and Jedi on Malachor, Dxun, Serroco and wherever else they fought together. And all of them were, in a much smaller way, connected to others who died on other planets, and so on. Traditionally a bond is seen as a connection between two people, but in this case the Exile is connected to whole planets - Malachor, Dxun, Serroco, etc. This means the wounds are all connected, bonded; they strengthen each other, their echoes resonate and grow in strength. It's the Exile that's the link.
Quote:
He was good at bonding even before Malachor right?
Yes, that's correct.
Quote:
Did he drain the Force from the others then too?
No, not exactly. A Force bond is seen as positive energy that flows both ways. The Exile and Nihilus - and the Sith assassins to a lesser extent - have learned to channel it in one direction. As I said, it's a preexisting ability that grows stronger, and in some ways different.
Quote:
If Nihilius has difficulty in sensing the Exile and the converse is also true, then in the game why does Kreia ask us, "Have you felt it?" And we reply, "Yes, it's Visas' master", and then choose our prestige class?
Er... what? I said the Nihilus has difficulty sensing the Exile, not Kreia or the Exile have difficulty sensing Nihilus. However, I should point out that Nihilus does start to sense the Exile - otherwise he would never send Visas, obviously - as the Exile grows stronger in the Force. In a sense the Exile stops being part of the echo - or blending in with the echo, whichever you prefer - and becomes something new, which Nihilus certainly can sense. Part of this is because the Exile is regaining and reasserting his/her identity, and in so doing his/her presence in the Force becomes unique once again.

Also, the Exile probably wasn't sensing anything before, what with not being able to feel the Force anymore. But I still think it's much more one way, due to Nihilus' nature; he's blind power. He can only see himself, and what he hungers for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalforever View Post
But Jimmy Carter says that Revan didn't want to harm te Republic. Why else would he have left Onderon intact?
Er... my name isn't Jimmy Carter. But I agree with the others, Revan intended to replace the Republic, not destroy it; he thought the other Jedi weren't prepared to defend it, due to their refusal to go to war against the Mandalorians. He attacks the Republic, but only parts that he believes are weak; he leaves parts that are key to the Republic's survival, such as Onderon, alone. And I think he shares Kreia's philosophy, that he believes even if he loses the Republic will be stronger for it. Though I also believe he's very wrong in this case, considering the state of the Republic after the Jedi Civil War. Somewhere along the line the dark side twisted his morality, and his judgement.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,