Thread: Mass Effect 3
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #1580
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
what Bioware did here, though, almost seems rushed. they can say that they put a lot of time and thought into it, but i beg to differ. IMHO, it feels like they had originally put in that grand and epic ending that we were all expecting, and somewhere towards the end of the dev cycle, a senior level person took a look at it and said, "No, lets do something different where the player has to make one last choice."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
It wasn't rushed. The end is virtually unchanged from what was in the leaked script months before release. It was just extremely poor writing.
I don't know if this has been mentioned here before, but the reason ME3's ending sucked was because all the writers were locked out of creating the ending, except the lead writer, by executive producer Casey Hudson. Up till that point, all the writing was put up for peer review by the whole writing team. But for no discernible reason, Hudson "assumed control" of the ending, and only allowed the lead writer to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Weekes, Mass Effect writer
“I have nothing to do with the ending beyond a) having argued successfully a long time ago that we needed a chance to say goodbye to our squad, b)
Show spoiler
and c) having written Tali’s goodbye bit, as well as a couple of the holo-goodbyes for people I wrote (Mordin, Kasumi, Jack, etc).

No other writer did, either, except for our lead. This was entirely the work of our lead and Casey himself, sitting in a room and going through draft after draft.

And honestly, it kind of shows.
I very much agree with Weekes here:

Quote:
I still teared up at the ending myself, but really, I was tearing up for the quick flashbacks to old friends and the death of Anderson. I wasn’t tearing up over making a choice that, as it turned out, didn’t have enough cutscene differentiation on it.

And to be clear, I don’t even really wish Shepard had gotten a ride-off-into-sunset ending. I was honestly okay with
Show spoiler
I just expected it to be for something with more obvious differentiation, and a stronger tie to the core themes — all three of them.”
Show spoiler

Quote:
all that said, i still think that ME3 is the best combination thus far of a 3rd person shooter and an RPG to date. the combat is fantastic, and the RPG elements don't feel stripped down so much like ME2. the characters feel real with a couple of very flat exceptions (still not a Zaeed fan), and the game really tugs at your heartstrings with a number of great moments.

overall, ME3 is one of the best games of all time, but it just falls short in one area: the ending.
Agree.

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.

Last edited by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan; 06-25-2012 at 03:15 AM.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,