View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-0927 View Post
Well the i7 and i5 series of CPUs also differ in performance, and can make an impact in even non-gaming activities (on a laptop especially).
Impact as in...what?

I'm looking into options for a custom beast myself, so I certainly understand the urge you have to want the biggest and baddest. I'm sure the emotional aspect of it is testosterone driven to some extent. Let's maybe take a step back for a minute. Unless you're doing enthusiast level stuff, hyper-threading, cutting edge programming, or just running multiple instances of 1-3 programs at once, I really don't think you'll need an i7's processing power.

What exactly are your priorities with this ideal dream-machine?

RAM and vidcard are primary determinants for gaming and multimedia. Processing helps but only to a point. It's marginal after that point. You have to think if you're giving the graphical processing to the vid cards which is the brunt of it in gaming and multimedia, the processor only handles the mere remainder.

Quote:
And who knows - what if I do some extremely light gaming on it, or want to watch/edit 1080p movies? Or perhaps even do some media editing (photo or video)?
Gaming is the most demanding, multimedia second or third. Enthusiast level benchmarking jockeys around those two if I'm not mistaken, often tying for first or falling slightly behind and pushing multimedia down a step.

So, no, nothing you've said thus far really justifies spending the additional money on an i7 processor. Not to me anyhow.

Quote:
But I'm getting this variant because of two main things - the 1080p display, and because it's the only one you can pop open and modify (for the RAM/HDD).

- PR-0927
You might have a look around first and seriously listen to Q and lynk...if for no other reason than holding off 'till prices drop at the very least.

Those are undeniably attractive features. Linus on YT has had custom laptops made and for respectable prices. Also his store has great deals. Sometimes even killer deals that disappear within an hour of first offering. Check it out.

http://us.ncix.com/

At the very least it is a competitor price wise and selection wise to newegg and tiger direct.

I just really think if you have $1000+ to spend, you still get a nice machine that would suit your needs just fine for LESS and use the left over money to get some other really nice stuff for your machine.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,