View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 04:32 AM   #26
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
As above
Oh, I'd meant to elaborate further, thanks for catching that.

It used to be that a whole other sub form Jar'Kai was based off the ancient sword style previously not incorporated with Niman but had been said to require Niman. Now it's just "part of" it--probably an editorial move on the canonecity committee's part to reduce confusion. Didn't contradict anything.

Related:
Currently with SWTOR, no mention of Djem So. I'd presume Malgus by all indications is a Sith Juggernaut using Shien but have nothing solid to go on.

I also find it curious that there's not maybe a little more about lightsaber combat for the game than what is available. It'd be nice to go into the history of Jar'Kai.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post
Darth Bane had a Twi'lek master for a while who was a 'Blademaster' at the Sith Academy on Korriban. This guy knew all the lightsaber fighting styles, and taught all the sith at the academy that dual wielding was inherently a flawed style, and shouldn't be used. In reality, he secretly practised it himself, presumably because it's actually very powerful.
Ah yes. That actually was one of the best minor plot twists IMO delivered at just the right point.

I do wonder about The Echani Jedi weapons master, Raskta Lsu in the sequel and how she compared to Kas'im. I think she was slightly more devoted to lightsaber combat--
spoiler:
to her detriment
. The Twi'lek was physically superior, though, and could last longer plus had some force defenses--
spoiler:
of course this didn't save him.

The former was beat simply due to the wiles of another while unable to overcome her foe even with help, the latter bested inopportune circumstance and strategy.

Quote:
IIRC Revan is depicted as having dual sabers in some places, but whether this is canon or not, I don't know.
I think it might be. His chosen overall style might be that of a Jedi Master but like other masters, he was depicted after K1 as knowing at least some of the higher lightsaber forms. I have some idea on this given what info is available but it's merely inference based on my observations. So we may or may not be able to include Revan.

The Exile, again same ambiguity--could be. Indications as you know in the Revan novel are
spoiler:
she was more combat based but preferred the single blade.

Quote:
Luke Skywalker employed the use of a secondary, shorter lightsaber called a 'shoto' for a while. 'Shoto' is a Japanese word for short swords, and samurai sometimes used shoto's just like Jedi are showed as using. The Jedi are, obviously, based on samurai to some extent.
Yes. The dual wield style specifically using a regular blade and a shoto may in fact be a nod to Miyamoto Musashi who invented the 2 katanna style and is considered one of the best duelists of samurai. His strategy writings "Book of Five Rings" is quite inspirational to me personally.

IIRC Jedi are also based on shaolin monks somewhat, and of course the many variants of european knights.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy

Last edited by Darth Avlectus; 08-04-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,