View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Your computer is not very old. You could substantially increase your PC's gaming performance by replacing just a few components:

1) Get a new video card. That 5570 is pretty weak. This is probably the best deal on modern, lower mid-grade card right now. The deal ends tomorrow, so you'll need to jump on it now. I guarantee that the difference will be night and day compared to that 5570, and, since your motherboard supports Crossfire, you could get a second one when it's on sale and together they'll play just about every game on high settings at 1080p. This card also uses very little power, so a power supply upgrade won't be necessary unless you get a second one, and even then that would depend on what power supply you already have. I would recommend this card for a brand-new PC; not just an upgrade.

2) Upgrade to a Phenom II X4. Most modern games support four cores, and high-clock PII X4's are ridiculously cheap these days. I've seen 965 BE's go for $75. There's no sale going on that I know of at the moment, but that's likely to change.

3) 2-4 more gigabytes of RAM wouldn't hurt. 4GB would be no more than $30.

4) Solid-state hard drive prices are at an all-time low. Your motherboard won't allow the newest SATA III models to run at full speed since it's only SATA II, but the difference over a normal platter drive is very noticeable and will spoil you. Here's one for $60. Kingston drives are very reliable. I've gotten 4 of them for my family's computers and they've been going strong for a year and a half now.

So, for ~$270 your machine will perform like a different computer, and for a fraction of the cost of building a new one.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,