Thread: Star Wars 1313
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #166
Kr1ffing_Br1lliant
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post
No rule; it just doesn't seem like a logical idea. I mean, why devote time and resources into a highly customizable player character creation process to the ends of promoting player immersion through sense of ownership, if the rest of your game doesn't follow the same principle?
It'd be like creating characters for a drama, and then switching the story to a comedy after the first act.

Well, I mean, I guess that would work if this was some intentional move in an arthouse film or something, but that doesn't seem like the kind of thing 1313 is aiming to be, you know? It's like, Hollywood, rather than Sundance. Player experiences and their structures are formulaic and intensive, rather than creative and subtle. Experimenting with them is too risky, and better left to small/Indie projects.
Yet KOTOR was a huge "risk" in its experimental approach to mixing the Turn- Based RPG basis with a narrative and making it all go down in a Third-Person perspective. Battlefront was totally different than any other Star Wars properties as it focused on the perspective of the soldiers fighting all of the movie hero's battles, but it was highly successful. Republic Commando carried the same concept, but applied squad-tactics into the gameplay (also rather untested with the Star Wars license) I could name many more "risky" properties, but the point is that nearly all, if not all of the classic Star Wars "hits" were severely risky, but they paid off.

I think it would be more in this game's benefit if they were to try something different for a change and implement something players can connect with and differentiate it from the Uncharted games it is heavily derived from; and since when has the Lucasarts license followed currently popular games, thusly copied them, and made anything fans actually wanted?
Kr1ffing_Br1lliant is offline   you may: quote & reply,