View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #991
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan Farlander View Post
Yeah, I did a lot of bouncing - my first piece of recording equipment was 4-track Yamaha digital recorder/mixer back in the 90s (and it came with a free reverb unit!). But I found it very frustrating. I'd record like guitar and drums (stereo from a keyboard) or something, mix that, then bounce those three tracks to one other track. Then I'd add piano (again stereo from a keyboard), but once that was there I wasn't satisfied with the mix between the drums and guitar anymore, but it was too late to change it. I suppose practice and experience would have helped, but I didn't really care about messing around with that stuff - I just wanted to record the music and not have to worry so much about the details of making it sound right during production.

Yeah, I saw that documentary!

But even if you are using one reverb for multiple tracks, wouldn't you still want to apply it to each track individually, so that you had control over the volume of the each track individually after the effects are on them (after they return to the mixing board)? Or is it sufficient to control the relative levels before they go to the reverb?

Plus you have EQ and compression...
You use the aux send to balance out the individual track levels to reverb. Stuff that's in the "back" of the mix, you mix softer, but with a lot of verb. The things "up front" in the mix you mix louder, but with less send to the verb.

EQ and compressors are inserted on a channel by channel basis, mostly... though I'm actually a VERY big fan of grouping like channels (background vocals, strings, multiple piano mics, drum set tracks...) to a stereo buss, and EQ'ing and compressing them as a stereo track.

I personally think it makes the whole thing gel a bit better to treat a 12 vocal mic choir, or a string or horn section with 10+ mics on it, or a drum kit with 8 or 10 mics, or a piano with 3 or 4 mics as a single thing you are hearing in stereo, rather than something you are trying to EQ and compress to sound uniform over 4 to 12 individual channels.

It's also often a bit quicker to get results... though actually setting that up is an extra couple of steps.

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: