Thread: 9/11
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #19
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejman217 View Post
@JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan: Those verses are certaintly applicable to the terrorists today obviously, but for the majority of the Islamic population worldwide, I don't think it applies to them a significant amount.

Sure, the Koran states that one must not befriend a Muslim. However, I myself am not a strict Muslim, and neither are my parents. I pray twice a day, once in the morning and once before i go to bed, but not five times a day. Almost all of my friends are Christians, atheists, or Hindus.

I don't think today's Muslims are straight up defying the verses of the Koran, because it would be highly impractical to meet (and reproduce) with only other Muslims. We would have eventually died out if we only reproduced with other people from our religion. I think they are just ignoring the verses, because it is morally wrong to kill people from other religions. (some may view ignoring these specific verses as sin)
So most Muslims don't derive their morality from the Koran? Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
And we are treating that right? No, we are not. We are just throwing money at housing these people in prison.
So you consider the US's method of going about the 'war on terror' to be wrong, like it's methods in the war on drugs. What I want to know is what you think should be done differently.

Quote:
It is people using religious text to convince people murder is justified. Someone could use the same religious text to convince the acceptable that it was wrong. You could use the bible to do the same thing the Koran is not the only book that can be interrupted and used to convince people to believe what they want to believe. So the question is still the same what makes people acceptable to such suggestions?
Forgive me, but I'm not really sure what you're saying here. I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not.

I'll just say what I said previously: When it comes to religion (most, anyway), you don't base your morality on society, or create your own. You're supposed to base it on your understanding of the religion. A reason some people would consider the suggestion of murder as acceptable, is if they think their religion sanctions it. (There are obviously a multitude of other reasons, and this one isn't relatively common in our societies, but it's the most relevant one to the topic at hand.)

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: