View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I'm not American, but I am conservative. From an outsider POV, I need to ask a couple of questions before supporting your statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
1) DROP THE OVERLY RELIGIOUS! Seriously! Yes, we were founded on Christian Ideals. BUT we are not just a Christian nation. We are especially not a hard core evangelical nation.
I would agree. Being a christian myself, I think there is an excessive "bad rep" around the Republicans that they are "a bunch of fundamentalists". Religion is important, but it shouldn't be the center focus of a political party.

Quote:
2) Support ending the war on drugs! It's a huge financial drain that produces very little if any results. It jails many people who otherwise would be upstanding citizens. It also adds to the unemployed and those who are on the government dole, as a conviction for a drug related offense now has his job options severely limited. It's like Prohibition. All it did was create a new criminal organization.
I don't know how it works there, but arrest should be used only for cases with heavy drugs. The rest should be dealt with with fines.

Quote:
3) ABORTION IS LEGAL, GET OVER IT! Really... this is a losing proposition for Republicans. Support only ensuring that they are safe for the mother. I don't think it should be free, but it should be available.
If it still is under discussion, I think abortion should only be legal in cases of rape, malformation of the fetus, or when the mother's life is at risk. I believe people should be responsible for their actions. Everyone is free to do whatever they want, as long as they accept the consequences. If you have sex, there is an high risk that you can get pregnant. If you use protection, there is a much smaller chance of that happening (but there is a chance nonetheless). If people know this, how can they act surprised when it happens? How can they claim that "we" are telling a woman what to do with her body, when she was the one who decided that?

This is just my view on the abortion issue (I know it may have flaws), and I don't expect everyone or anyone to agree with me.

Quote:
4) Stop opposing safe sex education. For heaven's sake... You cannot just teach abstinence only. It does not work for everyone. Inform kids that yes, abstinence is the best way to prevent an unwanted pregnancy, but by no means is it the only way. You don't want abortions, but oppose safe sex education? SERIOUSLY???! Education is the best defense. Yes, ideally it should be the parents, but they are not doing their job, so let the schools do it.
Agreed. That is essential.

P.S:
Quote:
No matter what we do, we get called the racist party. I think that's pretty well a lost cause.
It's a bit ironic how some of the media pass that idea out, but don't mention the amount of people who vote for Obama (or support him) based on his skin colour. And a lot of people do. To me, that's racism aswell. Ideally, the colour of one person' skin should be irrelevant. The end.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,