View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #24
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
The start of AotC does a really good job at actually introducing each character with the exception of Qui-Gon and Shmi,
And Palpatine, and how he rose to power and managed to still be the Chancellor after so many years, and the Prophecy (central part of the plot), and why Anakin is believed to be the Chosen One, and how the Jedi denied Anakin at first (which will have an impact later on), and Watto (a reminder of his past slave life), and many other big and minor things which are all relevant none the less.

Quote:
though when you think about it, who the hell is Jedi Master Syfodias? I guess because he exists without an explanation in AotC, Qui-Gon and Shmi can be largely omitted too.
I'm not sure how you've reached that conclusion. Both those characters are important elements of Anakin's life (unlike Sifo-Dyas, which is implied to be an alias Dooku used to order the army). Why would you want to make the protagonist of the story have such a bland backdrop?

Quote:
From the opening scenes in the movie, you knew who Padme was, Chancellor Palpatine, the key Jedi masters, Obi-Wan and Anakin and their relationship to Padme as well as the overall unrest that's going on in the galaxy.
Same thing with TESB, but you don't know what the characters have been through, which enhaces the story and the characters themselves.

Quote:
I was a little sceptical too, which is why I spent the other day watching the movies all in a row in this order to see if it would actually work... for whatever bad acting and awkward moments AotC has as a movie, it seems to handle simple character introductions and short expositions very well, exceptionally well compared to TPM... though maybe still not as well as ANH did it. The movie told you pretty much everything you needed to know right at the start.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, specially with that last setence.

Quote:
I think the reason why AotC works well as a starting point for the prequel era is because of the 10 year gap between TPM and AotC that requires that people be reintroduced again and the setting be re-established. And the thing about TPM is that after this 10 year time period, the specifics of TPM become largely irrelevant.
Which specifics? The Naboo invasion? Yes. The other events I mentioned (and some others)? Still largely relevant.

Quote:
Actually, the interesting thing about AotC without TPM in this lineup is that the reveal of Sidious at the end of AotC is a huge "holy ****!" moment cause you just saw that guy talking to Darth Vader in the middle of ESB and he's still this really mysterious figure you know absolutely nothing about but you know he's this pure evil lurking in the background... and being more of a phantom menace than he is in TPM itself o.o
Really? I think TPM gave me the same (or even better) dramatic effect, specially when he's introduced as a shadowy hologram who the Neimoidians fear.

Quote:
And you're right about the only stand alone movies being TPM and ANH, but in my view, AotC and RotS being preceded by ANH and ESB takes the place of TPM in explaining who these people are and why they matter because all of these characters and events are talked about in those two movies already.
As I said above, it doesn't explain many important concepts present in the other prequels.

Quote:
So no, I wouldn't get people to watch only ESB and RotJ or only AotC and RotS, instead I feel that ANH and ESB make a better substitute to give people all the information they need to know who the people are in AotC and RotS and the events that are transpiring since the events that happen are so closely linked, the Clone Wars and Anakin's fall to the dark side being the most important key points.

So because TPM and ANH are capable of being stand alone, that means that if people want more Star Wars, they can always watch TPM if they're interested... it'd be no different than seeing a prequel (lol) movie of a series that just happened to have a flashback part in the middle of it.
The difference is that in this case you're showing an incomplete flashback sequence.

Quote:
It also made RotJ SO DAMN AWESOME. I mean, seriously, that downer you get from the end of RotS just makes the high at the end of RotJ just that much higher.
No arguments there.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,