View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan Farlander View Post
What do you mean? There have been a lot of gun control debates and gun laws passed in this country. There have also been discussions about school violence, particularly since Columbine. And there have been definite changes. I remember that when I was in high school, anyone could just walk in the building. Now the doors are locked and you can't get in without identifying yourself and having your reason for being there verified.
What I mean is that one side always seems to take the "ban everything!!!" position, and the other always takes the "From my cold, dead hands... people kill people!... zero regulation!" position.

Neither side ever wants to give any credit to the other for strongly held and legitimate positions, and neither side ever wants to give the slightest bit of ground in a compromise... so like in most situations, we always seem to nationally meet in stalemate, and nothing realistic ever gets done.

Again: I don't have the answer or solutions... but it sure doesn't feel to me like anyone has ever dropped their posturing on either side to bother to try to make things better in a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan Farlander View Post
Every time something like this happens, we all want to start thinking about how we can stop it from ever happening again. But I don't think we can. Unless every step we take is constantly monitored and controlled. And I don't want to live in that world.

A school shooting (or any public violent act) is a tragedy, but it's not exactly an epidemic. This isn't happening every day. To be honest, I don't really think our laws on this or the policies of our schools are defective. If we want it to happen even less, the changes have to come at a personal level - we have to strive to be a virtuous society that produces virtuous people, and we aren't exactly doing that now.
We will never eliminate violence as long as humans continue at the current level of evolution... but we can see if there are things that can be done to detect and help those prone to it earlier... before they act out their schemes. And there must be some things we can do to lessen the devastation when it does happen.

Do average citizens really need military-spec firearms for hunting or self-defense? I dunno... I don't like the idea of being told what I can own or not own... but maybe it's something that needs to be considered again.

Ultimately, you are right: If someone gets it in their head to commit an atrocity, they will find a way and the gear to do it. But does it need to be so easy as it currently is to equip for one? With lesser weapons at their disposal, will they be as widespread or deadly? With sufficient roadblocks to getting the gear it would take, would they drop the plan altogether?

A thought: We threw the entire military might of our nation against a loose band of terrorists with ill-defined goals scattered across foreign soil on the opposite side of the globe after a single devastating attack. We could have said: Well, what can you do? After all, this doesn't happen every day...

But obviously, some kind of action needed to happen. Realistically: It won't ever stop terrorism. But ignoring it and looking the other way wasn't an option.

I think in this instance it's similar. Anything we do won't eliminate occasional mass violence in this fashion. But it feels like this time we can't just throw up our hands this time, coast along, and not attempt to address it nationally in some way.

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: