Originally Posted by Darth Groovy
Lord Groovy is my first MMO character ever. I may need some advice from all you pros out there!
By no means a pro, but I have been doing this for over a year now and I know all the noob mistakes, I made them. Most of this is just common sense, but have no clue what you do and don't know. So I am going by what I wished someone would have told me last year when I was starting.
1. On your first character…Have fun, don’t over think it or rush to 50 just to do group content. Enjoy the ride and the story. Do what works best for you leveling, don’t worry much about rotation that you will use at 50 in group play.
2. Get the rest xp boast. When you log off log off in a rest area, cantina or your ship. This will give you more experience when you kill stuff when you log back on.
3. Need means your toon can use it and it is an upgrade. If in a group need only stuff for your toon, if you want something for a companion ask before needing or just greed and hope you win the roll. If you want some gear on a certain flashpoint and don’t win the roll (if you are on The harbinger). Yell at me, I will get one of my 50 toons and roll though it just us two and you can have all the gear that falls (you will whoever, get little or no experience for doing it with a 50, but you still get social points, credits and gear. However, it would be a easy way to get gear. Which brings me to my next point;
4. Keep your gear up to date. There are many ways to gear, but one of the easiest is to get orange gear and exchange the armor, mods, hilts and enhancements as you level. Also be sure to gear your companions. Before you sell something, think about if it would improve your companion. Not sure about the Sith Warrior, but I know at least on class on the republic side that makes you use a companion at a certain point in the story and if that companion is not gear, you will have to gear the companion to complete the mission.
5. You will see a bunch of abbreviations; lfg = looking for a group, CC = equals crowd control (don’t break CC’s, AoE = Area of Effect (get out of them)
6. Two things I did not know with my first toon once I learned them the game was easy. 1. Interrupt. Learn to use interrupts. Some enemy NPC will use heals or big attacks. Learn your interrupts and interrupt these. I prioritize things to interrupt, to me heals are always interrupted, I will just pop a defensive cooldown to deal with big attacks. 2. Kill order, kill weaks, strongs, elites then champions. I do this all the time, in groups or solo. I will also prioritize this list, if something can heal, then I kill weak healers then weaks and so on. By following this order and CCing what I could (elites), I was able to do most heroic 2+ solo leveling my shadow (easier because of stealth), but I was also able to do it with my knight and she has no real stealth and only a robot CC. My first toon even with stealth couldn’t do that, because I had no clue about gear, CC’s or kill order (plus she was healer).
7. Class – I am guessing you are going DPS… Even if you plan on going tank, level as dps. It is way faster and easier. I haven’t done the warrior, but I love my Jedi Knight – Sentinel – Watchman tree. The knight was my first toon to solo level that did not have stealth. Stealth makes leveling so much easier and I was worried about leveling the knight, however I found the class a total blast to play. Once you get you healing companion, you are a unstoppable killing machine. I have heard people complain about boss fights for the night, but with proper level gear and a little planning I found the boss fights way easier than I did with either my smuggler or my shadow. Do whatever advance class you feel comfortable with, but I don’t think you can go wrong with Sith marauder – Annihilation Tree. However if you want the option to switch to a tank later, go Juggernaut.
8. You get stuck or need help...Just yell
9. Have fun