View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
My point about the mags is that it doesn't stop the killing. the only thing that stopped the killing when the bad guy stopped shooting. He fired hundreds of rounds. that means he changed magazines multiple times. And as I said before, There are hundreds of millions of magazines out there. Good luck getting rid of those. I have a few magazines from WWII that still function like new.
SO what? I agree with you they are out there, we are not going to get rid of them anytime soon, but there is no reason to make it easy for someone planning mass murder, make them at least have to do some work to find them. I am also under the impression that lower magazine capacity could save lives. I know personally I am more like to attack someone reloading rather than attacking someone shooting me in the face. Also think my chances of success would be likely better while they are not shooting me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
I agree that gun owners should take more responsibility for their firearms. The problem is where you draw the line. If my car is stolen and someone uses it to run someone down, I'm not liable. If I could I'd rather keep my primary firearms on me at all times. The problem is all the "Gun free zones" that prevent me from keeping control of them. A police officer friend just had her car broken in to and her weapon stolen from it while she was in a "Gun Free" establishment(she didn't want to make a scene and all that, just get in, get her groceries and get out). We cannot maintain control of our firearms all the time if we cannot carry them all the time. Even a safe. I Know of a few people who had their safe stolen from their house. One they even broke the slab.
Yes nothing is foolproof. Stuff can get stolen, but there is a big difference between having something locked up in a safe, closet or car than having easy access setting in the open in the family room or under a pillow in the master bedroom. Someone breaks into the house and steals the weapon locked up in the house, then no you are not liable. Someone that lives in the house or has legal access to the house takes the gun from the house then you should legally responsible, even possible criminally (provided there was some legal reason (mental illness felony, age) that the person should not have had access to the weapon.

You pretty much answered your own question with the car example. You are not liable if it is stolen. However if you leave the keys on the kitchen table and your 5 year gets the keys starts the car, throws in in reverse and backs through the neighbors house. Then you are legally liable.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,