Thread: Dead Space 3
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #45
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
@ igy: I've never seen Dead Space has a horror franchise considering it was based off of Resident Evil 4. I've always seen it as a tense action shooter that had you thinking about item use and conservation for the most part and what vantage points, tactics and weapons you can use in your environment to give you an upper-hand.
I suppose that's one way to look at this game series. Personally, when I see predominantly dark areas with huge bloodstains all over, strange noises, flickering lights, corpses whose demise can only be speculated on based off old text and audio logs and, of course, undead monsters trying to kill you, I associate it with a horror atmosphere. Whether or not it manages to freak me out is a different matter.

Also, I just have to ask - what in the seven hells is an action shooter!? When did this term become the norm for regular shooters and "shooter" the norm for cover-based shooters!?

Quote:
Originality: There's a lot that's original about the game, but people don't tend to want originality, they want the first game reworked over and over which is why most people tend to be disappointed by Dead Space 2 and 3. I almost feel as if fans seem to want developers to cut out the story entirely and just have a game that randomises the original haunted house in infinite combinations so they can just play through that over and over.
I don't really remember questioning this game's originality, but I do agree with what you said. People sometimes claim to want originality in games and game sequels, but when something original is attempted, they bash it for ruining a beloved series. I'd say it simply proves most "gamers" have no idea what they really want.

Quote:
Now for the spoiler stuff...

Show spoiler
Show spoiler

Quote:
As for the ending...
Show spoiler
Definitely agree with you on that one.

Quote:
Show spoiler
Well...

Show spoiler

By the way, is anyone else baffled by this apparent obsession with trilogies in the video game industry? I especially tend to get in a "head-desking" mood when I hear things like "it will conclude this story arc/this trilogy, but not the series". Well, if it's not the end of the series, why divide it into trilogies in the first place? Why not do what, for example, Resident Evil, or Splinter Cell does and make each sequel a mostly self-contained story? That way the game series could be milked to infinity and beyond with zero complaints from the consumers. If you're making a trilogy, have the balls to actually finish the series with the third part, otherwise it's not really a trilogy, is it?

Last edited by igyman; 02-09-2013 at 07:04 PM.
igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,