View Single Post
Old 11-16-1999, 04:21 AM   #14
Imladil

Lightbulb

Hey...maybe we're just looking at this movie through different eyes!

Now that we're adults, of course we aren't going to see this movies with the same sense of fresh wonder. Also, now that believable special efects are widespread, that sense of "Wow...! That looks REAL!" just isn't there. Remember, when Star Wars came out, the only realistic space movie to have come out before was 2001: A Space Odyssey.

When I was a kid...I was right there in the cabin of the Millenium Falcon as we buckled in and took off up into the desert sky. The orbital ascent went quickly, and we were under attack from Imperial starships...

Now that I'm older, and much more jaded when it comes to graphics (we don't even call them "special effects" anymore, since they're all digital), the same experience just isn't possible.

Anyway. I thought Wing Commander was pretty worthless, too. I didn't pay attention enough to the credits, but that film had a heavy Russian flavor to it. Not that I disagreed with that, just that it's a little dark and serious for my tastes...

My favorite sci-fi film recently: Starship Troopers. Briefly, I regained some of my sense of wonder seeing this one; it was just sad that I had to be shocked into it. But I must admit, the violence had a way of drawing me in.

I'm sorry for rambling. I'll just shut up now.

------------------
"The entire universe is simply the fractal chaos boundary between intersecting domains of high and low energy."

--Imladil the Culinarian

"Am I in space yet?"

--Little Jimmy

you may: quote & reply,