View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #60
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by machievelli View Post
The US practiced Operation Reforger; a massive deployment of US troops from the US to Europe every year from 1965 until the Wall came down, and the Russians never 'assumed' it meant we were preparing to attack. As with the exercises in Korea, we did notify the Russians that the exercises were scheduled, so accusing the US and SK of 'preparing for invasion' is ridiculous. It was like the claim that the Korean Airliner Voskaya PVO shot down was really an RC135.

The primary reason it's BS is because for the US and SK to have a reasonable chance of success, the SK would have to do a full mobilization, and there is no way SK could do that without it being noticed. You're talking about 8 million troops, and that is about 15% of their population, and forty percent of their workforce.

Editing, Checked the CIA factbook:

NK Manpower available for military service without major dislocation of the economy:
males age 16-49: 4,836,567
females age 16-49: 5,230,137 (2010 est.)

Full
Males 6,515,279
females 6,418,693

SK
Manpower available for military service without major dislocation of the economy:

males age 16-49: 13,185,794
females age 16-49: 12,423,496 (2010 est.)
Manpower fit for military service:
Full
males age 16-49: 10,864,566
females age 16-49: 10,168,709 (2010 est.)

But neither country has enough equipment for a full call up except for just handing everyone a rifle and saying 'go forth'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Actually it doesn't. They are doing nothing different than normal, and haven't attacked yet. It's a practice defensive drill designed to retaliate should NK attack. Same drill as always.

And honestly, Fox at least had info and quotes from the AP.

My guess is the reason none of the others mentioned the pacifist demonstration is that it also happens EVERY YEAR.
Both of ye missed my point, i'm not saying practicing a military drill is the same thing as declaring war or preparing to declare war.

I personally don't think the North Koreans are stupid enough to declare on the South while the world police are backing them, I still disagree with the sanctions imposed on countries (including NK) by the US/UN.

VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,