View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #51
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderis View Post
This is all I know to say to answer that question, but I not afraid to say more. I'm just not sure what other information about myself is needed for this conversation.
Look to the last post I made for reference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Avlectus View Post

Quote:
Alright. I'm an atheist. And I hate it. The most frightening thought to me is that when we die, that's it. I can't imagine what true nothing is like. I just cannot grasp it. But unfortunately, because of how my mind works, that is what I believe happens when we die.
Perhaps another way of looking at it is that you are left unsatisfied with what you know and realize with harsh reality, intellect, fact? If that was the end-all-be-all, then it would be enough. But it isn't the end-all-be-all.

Quote:
I really wish I could believe in something different, a religion or something, just to help make the end a little less scary, but I can't just believe in something to believe in something. I can't do it. I could say I do, but then there's still that thought hidden behind the believing exterior. It's really hard to have a positive look on life and think like this. Does anyone else feel the same way? Can anyone help me change my belief?
Well, I've been in a similar place. While I cannot say I completely believe everything in religion, I relaxed my disbelief in the idea there's something more to reality. See, I used to automatically shut it out just because. Then I came to the realization that I was just as strict and lacking for lenience as some theists out there. Now I like to think I'm a happy medium. Highly intellectual folk may think me whacky, highly religious folk may call me heretic. I am what I am.

Thing is we're different people. I have my reasons I came back to faith. I can share them if you'd like but do realize it isn't going to be easy for me.

I have met atheists who not only acknowledge spirituality, but profess it because they recognize it is another aspect and dimension to who we are, and thus it is part of our overall health.

Can I help you change? That depends. You say you want to, but you can't.
With all due respect: Are you even sure you have any idea what you want?

Before you can know what you want, do you even know yourself? How can you be sure? These are things you can answer to me if you want but you need to ask yourself and answer them for yourself. Nobody else can make you believe anything.

I want to help you by encouraging you, because I myself am seeking encouragement in this point in my life. In order to do that, you have to meet me halfway.

No, I do not have all the answers to any questions you might ask.
I'd like to add: though my reasons for returning to faith are my own, I doubt they'd be of much help to you. Your life is you, not me.

Yes I may faithfully 'believe' something but honestly at the end of the day I probably don't know any more than you do (Well, tested against objective standards anyway!)--I can only presume. We can neither prove nor disprove a negative.

Facts: We all die. We don't know what happens afterward.

I'm not going to pretend some bull**** like I have answers for you what happens after, be it through science or mysticism. But I can try to help you see this in a different way. What is important here is why you see things in life the way you do. Much of the reason for that, possibly, is how you view yourself.

Life is about the journey. In the end are you going to be proud to have lived or not?

Quote:
May I ask, are you buddhist?
You may ask, and no I am not. More or less am freelance/non denominational Christian-probably have more in common with an agnostic. However, I'm not going to impose upon you. You've probably had more than your fair share of THAT--am I right?

I am studying and practicing the philosophy of Shaolin. If possible I want to help you at least get a perspective on what you can control and change in your own life.

Why? Not because I think I can be some invincible badass like Jet Lee or something. Simply because at 29 I need to learn
1) new ways to help myself and
2) to feel encouraged in order to better self-motivate.

The best way I can do that is to help others and to encourage others. Like yourself. So if you do not mind, how 'bout we start from the above quoted post?
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,