View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #23
Isaac Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Of course there is doubt. When I talk about the "blessed" period of relative stability, I'm talking about thousands of years, but you presented papers talking about hundreds of years.
Thousands of years is too long. Milankovitch cycles etc affect reconstructions. The best time period to analyze at temperature is only a few hundred to a few thousand years, and even those reconstructions show no such "stability".

Quote:
You are aware that the periods of greatest animal and plant life had higher CO2 levels than present. Granted that was millions of years ago, but the point still stands.
Yes, and they also had decreased solar activity. Which changes the CO2 threshold.

Quote:
How many millions of tonnes of CO2 is expelled by a volcano? There are many natural sources of CO2. Even from the sea bed.
Subaerial volcanoes emit >300 Mt CO2/year, as opposed to the anthropogenic emissions, 33.6 Bt CO2/year. Human emissions dwarf subaerial volcanic emissions. Also, other natural CO2 emitters on Earth are not important, as they only contribute to the mass balance. It is only when there is an unbalanced force (fossil fuel burning) that it is disrupted.

Quote:
As for Mars warming I was speaking to the premise that ice caps melting meant warming. For the past few years, the martian caps have shrank.
Yes, that's because they're just like our ice caps. They melt and freeze in cycles.

Quote:
Little Ice Age: The little ice age was because the preceding conditions altered the planet's normal atmospheric content. After the conditions returned to normal, the temperatures would return.
Evidence?

Quote:
You're going to look real silly in about 20 years when everyone is talking about freezing
No, everyone will laugh at how silly it was to think that it wasn't warming, because holy s*** we're in trouble.

Last edited by Isaac Clarke; 11-12-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Isaac Clarke is offline   you may: quote & reply,