View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
But he's not immortal, invulnerable or unbeatable. He's an alien and hard to kill when compared to humans. And even if he was immortal, that doesn't mean he couldn't be heroic. The mere choice of actually helping people instead of ignoring them is heroic.
Errr - you can't shoot him, hurt him, he's earthquake, space and nuclear proof, I'm not really sure what else he has to do to qualify for invulnerable save for his own severe lack of intelligence vs Lex Luther half the time.

Really? A definition of Heroic;

"having the characteristics of a hero or heroine; admirably brave or determined"

I fail to see if bullets cannot hurt you, how it is brave to confront a gunman. Being brave necessitates risk and over coming fear - Superman is never at risk and therefore has no fear he has to overcome. Therefore he isn't brave.

What's heroic about acting as you should? I think many/most people will help people rather than ignoring them if it costs them nothing. What does being Superman really cost Superman? Nothing, ergo, he's not being heroic. The Clark Kent persona in some respects is more of a hero than Superman... Choosing to limmit himself.

On the definition of a "hero" "a person, who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities". If you can lift anything, is it really an outstanding achievement when you do? Since how good a achievement is can only come through comparison with someone of equal abilities there isn't too much that can be said. As I've already argued he isn't courageous...

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,