View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Errr - you can't shoot him, hurt him, he's earthquake, space and nuclear proof, I'm not really sure what else he has to do to qualify for invulnerable save for his own severe lack of intelligence vs Lex Luther half the time.
I assume your knowledge of Superman is based on the Christopher Reeve's version alone?

Quote:
Really? A definition of Heroic;

"having the characteristics of a hero or heroine; admirably brave or determined"
And here's the definition of hero:

"a person, typically a man, who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities"

Quote:
I fail to see if bullets cannot hurt you, how it is brave to confront a gunman.
It's not. But his choice of confronting a gunman instead of letting him commit a crime is heroic. Not to mention that gunmen are not the only enemies of Superman.

Quote:
Being brave necessitates risk and over coming fear - Superman is never at risk and therefore has no fear he has to overcome. Therefore he isn't brave.
Assuming he's never at risk. But that's not true as seen in the comics or the latest film.

Quote:
What's heroic about acting as you should?
What's stopping him from acting as he "shouldn't"?

Quote:
I think many/most people will help people rather than ignoring them if it costs them nothing.
And many others won't. I've seen a good share of situations that show the opposite. Either way, he's not a person, and with that power he could creat chaos and destruction throughout the planet.

Quote:
What does being Superman really cost Superman?
His family? Friends? The sense of belonging?

Quote:
Nothing, ergo, he's not being heroic.
Even if true (which it isn't), since when does being heroic imply a cost?

Quote:
If you can lift anything, is it really an outstanding achievement when you do?
It is to people who can't. He's not the one who calls himself an hero. People do. Not to mention that people can do "outstanding achievements" as well (they don't always require superhuman abilities). The difference is if they do them or not.

Quote:
Since how good a achievement is can only come through comparison with someone of equal abilities there isn't too much that can be said.
I disagree, as explained above.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,