Thread: Mass Effect 3
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #1862
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
why was space child at the start and end of the game, why was Sheppard dreaming of space child?
The "space child" was not at the beginning of the game.

As for why the "space child" was at the end of the game, see the Rannoch mission with Legion in ME3 (or 1997's Contact, starring Jodie Foster).

Could that have been done better? Probably. Was it completely unexplained and/or out of left field? No.

Quote:
The indoctrination theory is the only one I would have to explain that personally.
I'm only cursorily familiar with this. Based on my understanding of it the indoctrination theory would make both existing ending even more meaningless. Am I wrong?

Quote:
I hate that really I think the Leviathan DLC is required to explain the essential question
Did you mean From Ashes?

Leviathan explains
spoiler:
why the Reapers look like giant cuttlefish, where indoctrination comes from, and how the cycle started

From Ashes, on the other hand
spoiler:
provided the foil for Shepard, and by extension, this cycle. All the other cycles took the Javik route (i.e. one dominate species over all others), whereas Shepard was able to unite species, help them to work past their insurmountable differences, build trust where no one else could. In other words, he did what no other organic was able to do in the history of the universe: bring the galaxy together. This is how he showed the Reapers that they were wrong and forced the recalculation of their directive.
You can still figure this out without the DLC, however it certainly helps to show, rather than tell.

Quote:
Personally I think leaving the Reapers motives more unknown would of been better, I do realize of course Achilles for example disagree's with me.
Meh. I suppose it would have been possible to write a story that was interesting, engaging, satisfying, etc without revealing the motivations of the Reapers, however antagonists which are "evil for evil's sake" tend to be boring. While the whole
spoiler:
AI takes instructions a little too literally, resulting in mayhem for the organics it was intended to protect
schtick may be a little thread-bare, it does afford a little umph for the modern tragedy.

Quote:
Whenever I see this one, I wonder if the person who made/the person posting it either doesn't get that it's wrong or conveniently pretends not to get that it's wrong for the sake of the lolz.

Quote:
This one I like
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,