View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #759
redrob41
Veteran

Current Game: just modding TSL
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderis View Post
I don't so much like the 'shower curtain texture on the front and spike, but looking good so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanon View Post
shower curtain??
Owh, dear; that's a clear warning something has to change.
I think the problem is that you've picked a repeating, tiled, rectangular pattern and placed it on non-rectangular shapes. It doesn't look like a metal smith held a piece of metal in his hands and created unique details on it, specifically matching the curves. The pattern lines shouldn't get "cut off" when they meet an edge (the red lines on the top fin are a perfect example), because a viewer can imagine the line continuing (essentially filling in the blanks) past the edges.

What was your inspiration? is there a real world culture that you're trying to emulate?

I googled ornamental spanish helmet and there were some great examples of top fins with fine details on them. They all conform to the shape of the fin.

I also googled ornamental etruscan helmet for some good examples. When doing inlays, I think that the contrasting color shouldn't overpower the base metal (the ground), but should just be used to highlight certain parts of the pattern.

- Major character artist for the Revenge of Revan mod. -
- List of Completed Mods - Work in Progress Thread - Skinning Tutorial -
redrob41 is offline   you may: quote & reply,