Thread: Mass Effect 3
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 04:19 AM   #1900
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
So a little over a week ago, I downloaded all of the story DLC for all three Mass Effect games and then started a non-stop (aside from eating and sleeping) marathon of Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3...

...I know I said I wouldn't go back to Mass Effect and that the ending for Mass Effect 3 didn't motivate me at all to go back to playing the entire trilogy over again, and I still stand by that. My reasoning for playing the trilogy over again was because I really want to give these three games and the series as a whole, every possible chance. It deserves that much, even though it has many flaws. I felt like I needed to go back and see just what was great about the series and what made it not so great and what was just down right stupid.

After over 120 hours (ME1 = 30+ hours, ME2 = 40+ hours, ME3 = 50+ hours) of straight gameplay through all three games, completing 100% of the content including all of the story DLC content, we're talking EVERYTHING. For the most part, I did exactly what I did in my initial runthrough of the trilogy when I played each game for the first time... well, aside from making sure I actually saved the SR2 crew and didn't forget to save Jack in ME3 because I didn't realise that some of the missions were timed. But for the most part, it was the exact same Shepard I created when I first played ME1, just a second chance to do all of the things.

At the end, after that 120 hours... I felt emotionally exhausted after all that I had been through. Did my opinion of the trilogy change after this second runthrough of the trilogy? Not really. In fact, it just cemented all of the things I've said about the trilogy... but at the same time, reminded me of all of the reasons why I love Mass Effect and why the bad things about the trilogy disappoint me so much.

I'm planning to write a series of 4 articles for my site, one for each game and then a trilogy retrospective... but yeah, I'm glad I went through the trilogy again and didn't simply abandon it as I said despite it leaving me emotionally exhausted at the end in not such a good way...

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,