View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 11:30 PM   #175
K_Kinnison
Grey Lensman

Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue15 View Post
survival of the fittest!

That is not even a correct quote.

Btw, that quote obviously was a horrible job of paraphrasing of an aswer to a question then Sen. Obama took in Lancaster County.

here is the full quote

Quote:
Q:
Woman: Why did you vote to reauthorize the Patriot Act? Itís the worst Act in America?

A:
Itís not actually true that the Patriot Act was the worst act in America. Most problems were done by executive order by George W. Bush. First thing I will do is call in my Attorney Gen. to review each of the orders and find out which undermine civil liberties, and I will reverse them with the stroke of a pen. The suspension of habeas corpus, the Guantanamo Bay detainees, that was all done separately from the Patriot Act. The first one I wasnítí there for. The second one, I worked with Russ Feingold to try and amend it to repeal some of its excesses. There were some things in the Patriot Act that were needed. Prior to Patriot Act we couldnít wire tap any phone that wasnít land-based. Nobody uses land-based phones anymore. Terrorists are not using dial-up phones Together with Russ Feingold, we instituted a series of amendments that changed some of the worse excesses of law. I taught constitutional law for 10 years, so I take it very seriously. The problem is George Bush bringing more power into the executive branch and not using Congress at all. I want to fix that problem.
Secondly because of the Republicans in congress having a record number of "Votes for cloture" aka Filibuster. The only way President Obama CAN get anything done now is via executive orders.

So that begs the question, is Obama using executive orders as a way to gain power? or circumvent a do nothing Congress?

Lastly, executive orders can easily be circumvented by congress or the next president.

BOW DOWN BEFORE the Official Forum Pun-isher
Official XWA flight instructor
get busy with it!
K_Kinnison is offline   you may: quote & reply,