View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #1390
christos200
Rookie

Current Game: battlefront 2
Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
For someone who is apolitical, the Abbot's reaction doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If a target ends up killing his assassins, it is not usual for the organization to hold a grudge. As I pointed out in another work, if the old KGB had gotten into revenge for actions by another government, or a specific agent's work, the number of people dying in any given year would increase dramatically.
For someone to kill members of a sect, it is a very serious insult because it shows disrespect for the leader of the sect. Fong Yuen is furious because when even the Emperor does not dare to kill his members, Chan and Zhuge do so. It also depends on the character of leader. But, you are kinda right, however I need this "revenge plot" to move forward the plot, as pretty much half of the story as I have planned it has something to do with the "revenge plot". This revenge plot is something usual in Wuxia (Kung Fu) stories and since much of the plot I have already constructed is based on that plot, I need it.

Quote:
The situation is sometimes confusing, and I think it is the version you watched and are novelizing. It is a stereotype of Kung Fu movies to have a bunch of random thugs attack some old man in the street who turns out to be some super Kung Fu master.
You are half right about this. The "Three Kingdoms" novel and TV series have nothing to do about Chan and So or the Taoists. Those were created by me. But you are right when you said that it "is a stereotype of Kung Fu movies". When I was constructing the plot of the story, I was influenced by old 70's Kung Fu movies such as "Drunken Master" and "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow", all of which have an old beggar being a Kung Fu master and teaching a young man. My idea was to combine the epic/historical "Three Kingdoms" romance with the old 70's Kung Fu movies, as well as with Wuxia tales. About the plot with the Taoist Priests and the various Sects, I was influenced by Wuxia novels such as "Return of the Condor Heroes".

Quote:
For someone as apolitical as Chan is supposed to be, having him decide to follow the assassin because he knows Zhuge Liang's history with the Taoists doesn't make a lot of sense. After all, with thousands of followers, he'd have nothing else he could do in his life.
Friendship is valued quite a lot, especially in Wuxia tales where heroes are willing to die in order to protect people they know only for a few days but they are admirable to them. Chan, as a friend of Zhuge, is willing to help him. It is not like he is the kind of man who keeps out of all worldly affairs. While he does not want to get involved in politics, when there is injustice or when his friends are in danger, he will intervene. And having a friend like Zhuge Liang, wanting it or not, he will eventually be dragged in politics and war.

Quote:
The primary negative I have with the chapter is that the main character is automatically going to accept the word of someone he knew for only a few hours.
Again it is all about friendship. Zhuge Liang is admiring Chan because of his skills and the integrity of his character. Also Chan had already saved him once. So, Zhuge Liang owes his life to him.

Quote:
Again I think it is the version you are using to novelize. Like the '80,000 against 800,000 but the smaller force wins' it is totally unrealistic.

Here, you have supposedly 120,000 men inside the city, against only 30,000. There has never been a battle during history I can find where such a force defeated one of superior numbers.
I will have to agree with you on this, but the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms", my source material, exaggerates quite a lot the number of troops for dramatic effect. While I could change the numbers, I have decided to keep the ones used in the novel because it makes the story more epic and dramatic. While it is unrealistic, it is quite epic to have 30,000 men to battle 120,000.

Quote:
Also no force even if sure of their security would not have scouts out to watch for enemy forces. You have two different armies so clueless that they do not spot several thousand men camped less than ten miles (The distance an army can force march in two hours) away. The failure of the Confederates at Gettysburg was because JEB Stuart was too busy showboating to do his job.
Agree with you, but I decided to follow the novel in this case because the arrow which injured Zhou Yu when he entered the trap is vital for the plot.
christos200 is offline   you may: quote & reply,