View Single Post
Old 04-23-2002, 10:35 AM   #32
txa1265
Father Jedi

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by Jyt-Pon Dai'el
I'm with txa1265. JK II is my favorite game ever. I don't think I could ever say that one game is the best ever. There are many games that are nearly perfect in every way (and for that matter, some that have no redeeming qualities whatsoever). The thing that usually makes some games great is that they do something different, and they do it well. Comparing the features of revolutionary games to one-another is only a matter of personal preference. You can't compare Max Payne's bullet-time effect to Half-Life's enemy AI, or JK II's combat system, or ... <insert your favorite game here>.

As far as JK II is concerned, I'm not holding my breath for "Game of the Year". I don't think most people will think it's the "best" one since there'll definately be some stiff competition. I'm always open to the possibility that come December 31st, something else will get my vote, but its more likely that JK II will be my favorite game of all time for several years to come (JK 1 was my favorite up until JK II was released).
Thanks ...

Another thing - yesterday I was showing my kids (4 and 5.5, so they are not going to be playing anytime soon) the Yavin visit with Luke and the Yavin Trials - they were so into it it was just amazing ... confirmed my thoughts and feelings.

Then, last night, I was playing in the Cairn Bay (this is my 3rd time through), and come past the checkpoint where you get a Reborn, two doors, then more reborn, then the walker. I decided I wanted to learn that 'special Blue stance move', the crouching upward attack. I hadn't gotten it to hit before, but I just worked for a bit, and got it - very satisfying! Then I switched back to yellow, turned on speed, and wasted the reborns in the next room. As I sat waiting for the walker I thought about it - for me, there has never been a gaming experience like battling these guys - more so than even the 'boss' characters ... these are powerful enemies who will occasionally beat me. The way I look at it - if you don't find those one-on-one duels completely exhilarating, or find great joy in the 'Doom_Shields' level at wiping the level clean quickly using saber & the force, you will *never* have this be your favorite game, let alone view it as 'best ever'.

Me - I never really connected that much with Half-Life. I tried again and again, but JK1/MotS were much more fun for me. Dues Ex ... never bought it ... played the demo, didn't hook me either. MoH:AA - the demo pulled me in and I bought it. RtCW - as someone who played the original CW on an Apple][ when it was new, as well as Wolf 3D many years ago ... I just had to have it ...

Mike
txa1265 is offline   you may: quote & reply,