Thread: Sabers
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2002, 05:09 PM   #66
Demangel

more technology, and some other stuff heheh

first off for the qui gon thing, It's kind of a wierd question, I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Remember the Plasma is contained in a force field of sorts that only allows solidlighiud and gaseous matter into it. The plasma would be suspended probably by a form of magnetic property in the force field "bottle."

What I think you mean is how does it stay hot.

Well the same way it does to begin with, the sabers somehow heat up some element to the plasmatic state (Not sure if thats a technical term though). Remember some elements in plasma state arn't all that hot, some I think are actually fairly cool in temperature. you could do more damage with a hot poker for example.

Now Plasma disipates it's heat quickly I think also, but it doesn't radiate it like you might expect. This is why you can hold your hand right next to a saber beam or be within inches of it, and not burst into flame.

Also it is so hot, flames don't start, it simply poofs the material straight into vapor/gas as it is touched. in the case of denser materials like metals, and blast doors it would probably simply melt, like lava. Also remember the actual Saber blade is probably only about a centimeter thick, thats right, it's VERY thin.

Now with all this it's safe to say that it's fairly easy to keep the plasma at a high state of energy/heat ETC since the force field makes the plasma itself in an almost closed system.

Remember however qiu gon didn't swipe into it, he moved it slowly and deliberately, even turned it. Why? Probably because he had to give the saber time to keep the plasam hot. Normally cutting through an object like an arm or something wouldn't drain much heat from it. It is also possible that the force field pulses on and off at a super high frequency, fast enough to keep the plasma from leaving the saber form very much but enough to let in matter, remember all these are only possibilities on how it works, some negate other properties, but all tend to explain one facet or another.

For example this pulsing effect would cause the sabers to seem a bit thicker than they are for example, since a minute puff of the plasma would be ejected as the field switches off. It also accounts for the hum that comes from the blade itself beyond just the fact that it is hot. Just the heat would cause a different sound most likely. Least I would think right? but not the throbbing sound they seem to have.

so in other words qui gon probably moved it slowly to cut through the thick dor due to the drain on the saber, and the fact that the doors needed to be continously exposed to the plasma to be melted properly. In all likely hood when he thrust the saber into the door, it probably shortened, but wouldn't be visible, it literally burrowed into the door, which is why he paused as well I bet.

anyway none of this can be proven in the end till the real thing is made so yeah heheh, this is just how I envision it to work.

As for highlander, I hated the series, but I watched it once or twice.

In any case the fighting in highlander, as in all movies was most likely very choreographed extensively before the shooting. Unlike a fistfight a sword fight even with blunt swords (which the swords where in the actual fight scenes) needs to be carefully planned.

Once the scene was practiced enough you could perform it in near full speed. Really in the movies for example the difference between the speeds is so marginal, it can pass as the real thing to even a trained eye if not for one small exception.

In a real sword fight, most likely you wouldn't have the kind of clashes you see so often. It's hard to explain, but in movies they make it look like the target is the enemies sword all too often. While this is a valid technique (such as batting the enemies sword away prior to a strike as an offensive move), it is much less effective than simply parrying or deflecting then countering, or going right for the source.

In the movies for example and the series, if you didn't intercept the blade of your enemy about 70% or more of the swings would miss you, or not really be a targetted blow (IE it might hit you, possibly kill you but not because it was aimed to do so). the blade was aimed at the other blade. Guaranteed...

I have helped choreograph a few fight scenes in a few stage plays, and plenty of staged exhibitions. People want to see swords crossing more than simply a good fighter. while sword clashes can and do happen a LOT in the real thing, the winner is rarely the guy who has the best clashes, the winner is the guy who scores the hit despite the other blade.

thus if I made a realistic highlander type fight scene, nine times out of ten if clashes occured they would be less dramatic, and more as deflections and parries.

a better example is how a Katana can be used defensively.

Katana's CAN be used to block with, but it is far more recomended to deflect and parry. you would never want to simply bounce your finely edged weapon against another edged weapon if you could help it. Bouncing your weapon in this way is what makes up about 50% or more of the blocks shown in the movies.

this destroys blades too well. Even european swords need to take care about this. though one must keep in mind european swords generaly don't put the emphasis on the edge of the weapon as they do on the point. The point penetrates the armor, the edge does so only occasionaly unless against leather or lighter forms of chainmail.

Better forms of these weapons usualy have "saw teeth" of sorts along part of the edge, which are used to penetrate the armor and do greater damage in general in a normal swinging fashion as well as a thrust. they are however less elegant, and thus less seen in the movies. thus most people think they are there just to look mean... Trust me they ARE mean.

So what makes a Katana such a fine weapon?

It's edge is one of the sharpest edges imaginable on a sword. the funy thing is though for all that sharpness you could literally bounce the edge off the palm of your hand and not get a scratch, but rest the edge lightly on your palm and pull it in a cutting fashion even without pressure, and you can cut down to the bone before you realise it.

against leather, and other armors this is highly effective. However this weapon can STILL due to it's other properties be sturdy, and powerful enough to cut through plate armor, however nine times out of ten doing so would ruin your sword. your better off striking a joint, or weak target area of a heavily armored foe.

Needless to say you never see this kind of thing in most movies. Most people don't know and don't care to know things like that. I sure didn't till I found out on my own. So they don't show truly realistic techniques very often. Nothing wrong with that however since realism is far less dramatic I think, unless done just right... and thats hard to do.

thats all for my lesson for today. LOL

We all have to die, the only question is... Do you want it on your feet? or on your knees...
Demangel is offline   you may: quote & reply,