View Single Post
Old 05-21-2002, 04:31 AM   #17
vagus

nasty comm system

I must add my voice to this rather foolish comm system on a starship. I mean, what would you do in case of an emergency and need to call for a mayday? You'll have to go jump up and down (Force jump, no less) to 3 different levels to set up a frequency.

Even assuming you have enough manpower to station at every single cube in that chasm, you'll have to tell them to set up a particular frequency.

Ok, so perhaps the emergency frequency is "general" or "by default". What if the ship's captain wants to send a coded transmission that is not meant for the crew of the ship to know? He'll have to go gyrating around the cubes to set the frequency before he can initiate a transmission to Central Command, or whomever that is.

So Desann may be that "Central Command", but he sure isn't there all the time.

I mean, what a stupid way to set up a communication frequency? Of all the sci-fi movies and books you guys have come across, have you ever heard of a spaceship requiring extended acrobatics just to talk to someone else?

Or not for sci-fi... Anyone of you heard of an aircraft career that requires this sort of action just to talk to Washington?

Talk about the logic of it all...
vagus is offline   you may: quote & reply,