Thread: TPM Q & A
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2001, 05:58 PM   #112
Zanzibar

Quote:
Originally posted by DanJericho:
Zanzibar, were you presenting a game at E3 or just looking around?

Also, I'm a computer engineering & computer science major in college. I'll graduate next May. I've noticed at Lucasarts.com and some other gaming developers websites that you have to have game developing experience in order to qualify for a job. If everybody requires experience, how is anybody new gonna get into the industry? Are there any suggestions you might have for soon-to-be college graduates who want to get into the gaming industry?

Also, TPM was great.

Dan,

I was just looking around this year. Our current project is waaaay too early to show. Always good to keep tabs on what you're going to be up against, so you know what to include to compete.

If you want to get into the games industry as a programmer, get to know DirectX programming, C++, and try to get involved in a few PS2/Gamecube workshops - I have no idea if you're in any position to get to the PS2/GC stuff or not. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know. There's gonna be a HUGE demand for graphics and physics programmers over the next several years, with 3 high-end game machines plus gargantuan technological advances in the PC market. Also, if you can find out as much as you can about programming for networking/online components, you'll be in GREAT shape to get into the industry.

How to do it? I don't know, other than talk to your instructors - they're paid to field those kinds of questions during office hours. If they don't know who to contact, you're in the wrong school A lot of game companies hire directly out of the schools, and believe me, working for a small company is nice, it gives you a lot of responsibility for seeing various tasks through. Yes, a lot of 'big' companies require experience beforehand, but some also do hire directly out of the tech schools.
Zanzibar is offline   you may: quote & reply,