Tips for running an (almost) Dedicated Server in JK/MOTS:
Has anybody seen the DKB Server over on the MotS JediBoard? You can check on it using Qtracker.
However I tried to join and noticed that the game (playing Spaceport) had been "hacked" (ie: the level messed up by cheats).
Thankfully the person who posted the game (who wasn't playing the level) posted their email on JediBoard to be contacted. I sent them a message..
Anyhow, this is what I recommend if you choose to setup an (almost) dedicated server for JK/MOTS:
1) Realize that Windows9X leaks memory over time, so it can't be kept up forever. Eventually, you will need to restart Windows and put the game back up.
2) Don't run ICQ or any other memory intensive program in the background, which will only further deplete your system resources and possibly make the game crash over time.
3) Set a SCORE LIMIT and TIME LIMIT. This way if somebody messes with the level, it will be overwritten when the map cycles, plus people will get bored with the same level over and over. I recommend:
Map cycles at 35-50 frags (depending on the size of the max players).
Map cycles at 45-60 minutes. Keeps it fresh
4) Run Kicker Helper in the background. This program is okay to run, and should be run. It will prevent people from fading or deleting the host, plus then you can check on the game every so often and boot cheaters or clean up "hacks" that folks may have left in the game. KH also keeps an up to the minute "record" of names of players in the game (only when you alt+tab out of the game and check KH).
5) Check on the game at least once a day.. if possible. You may need to restart, or boot a cheater.
6) Make sure you have a good computer, connection. If you just have a modem, I wouldn't recommend hosting an (almost) dedicated server. Make sure you have plenty of system resources and Ram too, this helps keep the game up longer without having to restart.
(New)7)If possible use a server with a static IP, so that if you do need to restart, even a day later, folks can still join your IP and add it to their Qtracker lists.
With that in mind, what a great idea! Since real dedicated servers are not possible with JK/MOTS currently, this is about as close as one can get. Also, PUBLICIZE THAT IP! Make sure people know about the game.. (but be sure you aren't using an older version of Windows95 that can be nuked). ; P
[This message has been edited by Kurgan (edited August 05, 2000).]