View Single Post
Old 09-02-2002, 08:55 AM   #52
D.L.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurgan
Saying that the game is dying is one of two things coming out:

1) A person's desire to make other people quit the game because they quit, for whatever reason (they got bored for example).

2) People getting panicky because they play during down-time or on holidays and don't see millions of servers full of players.
Not the case with me. I still play the game, usually daily for an hour or so. I'm not bored with it. I spawned this thread just to get the general concensus, as jkii.net hadn't updated in a week.

Quote:
As for #2, when 1.04 patch came out, it was spelled out that 1.04 would ONLY detect other 1.04 servers in its built in browser. So thousands of 1.02 and 1.03 games were ignored. So people freaked out and assumed the game was dying. Some people still play those older versions and you wouldn't know from just looking at your in-game browser.
Also not the case. I'm up to date on patches, though I rarely play online at home due to speed restrcitions.

Quote:
Anyhow, if JK2 stops being #1 (or in the top 10 of games) who cares? That doesn't stop you from enjoying it. And you can always use bots to fill out your games if real players ever get scarce in the future. That's the beauty of it....
Bots are only so difficult. It's not that hard to learn their moves and paths. There's a certain inpredictability about human players.

I never cared about JK2's status in the chart. People who like will play it constantly no doubt but a point arises when you can only play so much of the same thing, which is where mods come in. The fact that the game changed majorly twice with official patches didn't help. I liked 1.03 but I really believe 1.04 is a step down from it. I don't let it bother me or affect my game, as I have JediMod though this is far from perfect. New mods are needed to increase the lifespan of the game. Fact. Look at Quake3/Half Life and see how the various mods have extended the lifespan of those games majorly.

Quote:
Single Player can't last forever and people do move on to other games if they get bored. That's why editing (which is just starting to take off) can help extend people's enjoyment of the game. But not everyone is aware of where to get good mods, and may have given up on the game already. But it's their loss... just enjoy what you have. ; )
I agree. But eventually people will get bored with what they have. It's human nature. You want something new, not something old, even though it's still in perfect working order. If editing is only taking off now, it'll be a bright future as the current editing standard has been high.

Quote:
So yes, technically if there is one less server every day than before, you could say it's "dying" but if a week later you have ten more extra servers, what does that mean? It's dynamic, not linear...
Like I said, I was basing it on editing activity not servers. There are plenty of servers out there.

Star Wars, General Chat and Games. Join if you want!
http://lounge.proboards5.com

The NJO Mod Website
D.L. is offline   you may: quote & reply,