View Single Post
Old 01-03-2003, 07:05 AM   #17
ShadowTemplar
Heathen

...Those who break the holy laws laid down by the Legion shall suffer torture and death. For citizens and privates, if the error is inexpensive, in terms of resources and citizens, the penalty is a reprimand. If the error is unforgivable or costs too much the penalty is whipping. If the error is priceless the penalty is prolonged electroshock torture and if an error is both priceless and unforgivable then the penalty is death. The errors of unit commanders are one category worse, of force commanders two worse, and of battlefield commanders three worse...

Exempt from the teachings of the Legion

...CGC commanders punish those who fail and only those who fail. Good citizens do not fail...

Exempt from a CGC propaganda broadcast

The transport ship cut a trail of fire through the atmosphere as it dropped towards the surface. Thrusters blazing from a damaged hull, it touched down just outside the reinforced steel/concrete wall, kicking up the grey dust that covered the moon. With a hiss of hydraulics a hatch on the side of the craft opened and the lean figure of a woman jumped out, even before the stairs had been lowered.
With an agility that belied her strength the black haired, pale skinned woman landed on dust with a colour that closely resembled that of her eyes. As she walked towards the wall, an amplified voice made her stop in her tracks.
“Halt!” it commanded. “You will go no further. You are under our protection as long as you stay at least one hundred metres from the installation. If a host of Legionaries show up, it pretty much confirms what you told us, and you will be allowed in.”
Calina could not suppress a touch of irritation as she replied. “By the time those craft show up, it will already be too late! You saw Jhonsson’s clearance. Now let us in.”
“It would be too great a risk to run. You will stay in your craft,” came the blunt reply.
Calina began to walk towards the base. “If I had wanted you dead, I would be inside your pretty little base by now,” she began. Then, suddenly, the top of the wall was marked by a hundred muzzle flashes. Some shots flew wide, but most found their mark: The black haired figure striding towards them.
Much to everyone’s surprise, the figure didn’t drop. The shots passed straight through it, many of them piercing its chest, but it didn’t even falter. There was no blood at all.
“As you see,” a voice said through the loudspeakers of the transport, “I could already be within your base. I am a Templar, and I could have Jumped in from orbit if that was what I wanted to. Now please let us in. Maintaining a phantom self is quite tiring.” At those words the figure on the ground disappeared.
Apparently convinced that Calina meant them no harm, the men at the wall drew back from a part of the white-painted surface. A massive gate, large enough to accept armour swung open. ‘Impressive,’ Calina thought. ‘That gate fooled me.’
As the pitiful refugees walked towards the fortress, Jhonsson drew level with Calina. “How did you do that?” he asked astonished.
“You spoke of science as we entered orbit,” Calina answered, her voice clearly marked by exhaustion. “That is our variant. Whereas the Republic turned its resources towards mastery of the outside cosmos, the Legion wished to achieve mastery of inner self. Mind over Matter, I think you would call it.”
“Impressive. Can anyone learn it?”
“No,” she replied coldly. “Most can’t. Most die.”
They were interrupted by a stern-looking officer. A Colonel by his rank pins. “I am the commander of this place,” he said. He had a broad face. He was tall, lean and would have been handsome, had his face not been disfigured by a splash of acid, numerous burns and scars, and a hint of cruelty in his eyes.
“Aha,” Calina replied rather more acidly than she had planned. “So it was you who ordered that little show of friendly fire?” It wasn’t really a question. She was struggling to regain control of her temper. But she was tired and angry.
“It can hardly be called ´friendly fire,´ as we had yet to determine that you were friends.” He was slick like no other, and Calina didn’t like him at all. A feeling in her gut told her that he had much the same inclination.
“I thought so. It didn’t seem all that friendly either.” She had demonstrated remarkable ability to control her anger, but there was a hint of dislike nevertheless.
“Still we have to work together, if what you said was true. It seems to me as if you are the centrepiece of this deadly little dance?” He too had a remarkable self control, and was definitely trained to turn a good phrase to heighten morale. Measuring her with his eyes he added: “And quite a prize to dance for too.”
Calina smiled, but without warmth. “I’m afraid that I shall have to disappoint you,” ‘and in more than one way,’ she thought. Aloud she said: “They dance with me, yes. But what they desire is this.” She produced a small box about 10cm*10cm*3cm. A Data Storage Capsule. “Within this DSC is contained detailed information on everything I know of the Templar, and the Legion as a whole.”
It contains everything that I have ever had access to information of. Social structure, army organisation, tactics, you name it. You will want to send for someone to pick it up as soon as possible.”
He led out a low whistle. “You sure know how to put some life into a party.”
“As you must surely have guessed,” Calina said, “we shall need to find a safe place to store this. If the Legion take this place, they’ll level it. Any and all recordings will be destroyed if found.” Her tone had a sharp edge to it, as she was getting tired of the Colonel’s manners. Or rather his lack thereof.
“Then I think that you have come to the right place,” the Colonel replied. “This is a research station, you see. We are developing new methods of encryption. We are currently working on – no finishing – Alloy Encryption.”
It goes something like this: You take an alloy that reads clearly on the correct scanners, then you alter the order of atoms, and their atomic nuclei*, so that both every atom and the order of atoms become binary code. That way it is possible to safely store every governmental and military secret of the Republic and every sneaky move that the Legion ever thought about in a container the size of a bullet. But if you want details, you’ll have to speak to the eggheads.”
“I don’t care about the details. Just make plenty of copies. You won’t get a chance like this again in the foreseeable future.”

*It is actually possible to alter the order of atoms in alloys with available technology. I think that it is something like neutron or alpha bombardment, though I am not sure. I’ve heard that research on how to alter the structure of the atomic nucleus is underway, but I’m not sure about that.
ShadowTemplar is offline   you may: quote & reply,