lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Why do you hate Jar-Jar?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-31-2003, 07:19 PM   #1
pleto4_ryan

Why do you hate Jar-Jar?

When the first episode came out one think most said...

"That Jar-Jar is SO awful"

Why is that...

I never disliked him a bit...
He isn't the brightest brain...but he is some kind of "cute"

-----------------------------------------------------

Also in episode 2 i found him so grown up and depressed...

"They've come to witness the Beginning.
The rebirth of Paradise, despoiled by mankind."
Claudia

A journey of a 1000 battles, begins with a single blow.

Un-break my heart...
pleto4_ryan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2003, 07:27 PM   #2
Wesia Daoke

he he just..

he just was annoying. the way he walked the way he talked he was just errrrrr

REALLY GOOD VIDEOS
Video 1

Video 2

Wesia Daoke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2003, 11:58 PM   #3
another_trooper

The way he talked was annoying to me and also the fact that he seems like the clueless dumb@$$ that screws everything up and doesnt notice it. Its the kind of person that ppl really hate. . .

I didnt hate that much, but I didnt like him either. . .

Its how do you say ?
A deal's a deal !
another_trooper is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2003, 01:16 AM   #4
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
he just DID NOT want to shut up... so i killed him

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2003, 01:18 AM   #5
coupes.
★★★★★

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
It's simple, he is annoying, I always had to think about what he had just siad to make sure I had understood correctly (not that anyting he siad mattered). Ans secondly, he brought nothing to the movie, exept being the 'link' to the gungan army. Oter than that he's plain goofy and was only put there to buy some laughter, and it didn't really work for me. But he's far from ruining the movie, IMH.
coupes. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2003, 01:24 AM   #6
Wesia Daoke

wait wait

Quote:
Originally posted by .:CoupeS:.
It's simple, he is annoying, I always had to think about what he had just siad to make sure I had understood correctly (not that anyting he siad mattered). Ans secondly, he brought nothing to the movie, exept being the 'link' to the gungan army. Oter than that he's plain goofy and was only put there to buy some laughter, and it didn't really work for me. But he's far from ruining the movie, IMH.
he was the one to suggest the idea infront of the senate to give emergency powers to the one guy. hence he should have been killed earlier so Paupatine wouldnt have gottin powers of a emperor

REALLY GOOD VIDEOS
Video 1

Video 2

Old 08-01-2003, 02:08 AM   #7
coupes.
★★★★★

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
I was only talking about TMP...

but that's anothr thing why the **** is he a senator at the galactic senate, didn't the gungan have anyone more intelligent to send there?
coupes. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2003, 02:12 AM   #8
Wesia Daoke

ya

maybe their all stupid. ***Sits and hopes that the Gungans become fair game to hunt all year around***

REALLY GOOD VIDEOS
Video 1

Video 2

Old 08-01-2003, 06:13 AM   #9
JediNyt
Jedi Master

If Jar Jar hadnt suggested that Palpatine should get emergency powers someone else would have. Remember Palpy has influence over hundreds of senators, he just needed one of them to propose the emergency powers. Jar Jar didnt give Palpy the powers, it was the whole Senate that agreed to do it. Anyways I dont hate or love Jar Jar. Hes funny and hes also annoying. Actually I didnt find him annoying in Ep2.

May the Force be with you...
JediNyt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2003, 05:28 PM   #10
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Jar Jar is the comic relief, a brief moment out of the ordinary. Just like 3PO was in the OT.

And in AotC he didn't do alot so...he couldn't be annoying.
The Gungans probably sent him because he reunited the Naboo and the Gungans. It may have shown so kind of...diplomatic skill...

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2003, 06:03 PM   #11
DarthMuffin
Dark Cupcake of the Sith

Quote:
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
Jar Jar is the comic relief, a brief moment out of the ordinary. Just like 3PO was in the OT.
I think that C3PO was much better for a comic relief. Jar Jar is just stupid and clumsy, he's not really funny.

However, the way C3PO was always scared about following artoo was nice ; and seeing a tall scared droid with a short courageous one was a good contrast.

Oh, and C3PO's voice is not annoying like Jar Jar's...

~Dark Cupcake of the Sith
DarthMuffin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2003, 10:33 PM   #12
another_trooper

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth54
I think that C3PO was much better for a comic relief. Jar Jar is just stupid and clumsy, he's not really funny.

However, the way C3PO was always scared about following artoo was nice ; and seeing a tall scared droid with a short courageous one was a good contrast.

Oh, and C3PO's voice is not annoying like Jar Jar's...
Most definetly right !

Its how do you say ?
A deal's a deal !
another_trooper is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2003, 02:35 AM   #13
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
*nods* plus u had the ability of Threepio and Artoo to form a dynamic duo to entertain us all

Old 08-02-2003, 02:37 AM   #14
Wesia Daoke

exactly...

i love R2-D2 i mainly like his tone of voice beep-beep-BEEP-berwb-beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. lol

REALLY GOOD VIDEOS
Video 1

Video 2

Old 08-02-2003, 02:54 AM   #15
ras1310

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth54

Exactly. Comic relief has to actually be comedy. An idiot doing stupid things is not automatically funny, and that's all they had.
ras1310 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2003, 06:37 AM   #16
wassup

I think people, especially the old SW fans who loved the classic trilogy, hated Jar-Jar because they felt his character was aimed at a younger, less mature audience. The older fans felt betrayed by Lucas by including such a poor character and decided to let their rants out.
wassup is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-11-2003, 07:13 PM   #17
boinga1
Pimpin' ain't easy

The "older" viewers had their own ideas about what should be in episode 1 and when it wasn't in there, they started...well I'm sorta prejudiced, OK.

Jar Jar is just a loser. That doesn't mean I hate him. I don't love him eoither. I just think he's a loser.

Of course, he probably thinks the same of me.
boinga1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2003, 02:53 AM   #18
The Cheat
6 Foot Tall Bunny Rabbit

i didnt really care for jar jar

spoiler:
but he did not ruin the movie for me
The Cheat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2003, 07:43 AM   #19
Redwing
thedeadlymoose

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I never minded Jar Jar. The only thing was that he had too many scenes in TPM, so alot of people got annoyed.

Redwing is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2003, 10:53 AM   #20
STTCT
Bantha Fodder

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran 
He was damn annoying and pretty much pointless as far as the plot is concerned.

STTCT is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2003, 11:05 PM   #21
pleto4_ryan

Quote:
Originally posted by STTCT
and pretty much pointless as far as the plot is concerned.
i don't agree to that. He paied one huge role at the plot...mostly by accident...but he did (he reminds me a little of cartoons)

Claudia

Un-break my heart...
Old 08-19-2003, 02:00 AM   #22
Admiral Vostok
Lord of Star Wars Purists

Well anyone who hates Jar Jar just isn't a true Star Wars fan as far as I'm concerned. I love him, he's one of my favourite characters.

But there is a reason he is in Star Wars other than for plot purposes. I think of myself as a Star Wars Scholar, so I'll enlighten the rest of you.

Star Wars is and always has been a movie about movies. It is an amalgam of genres, and that is precisely what George Lucas set out to do. Apart from the obvious ones like Science Fiction, Fantasy, Romance and Adventure, Lucas has inserted little bit of genre-mixing in other parts - the start of A New Hope is straight out of a Western, the extended musical seen in Jabba's Palace in ROTJ:SE was finally as lavish as the Musicals Lucas wanted to acknowledge, the detective story and lighting techniques of Attack of the Clones are conventional Film Noir, and every Episode is shot intentionally in a documentary-like format (no place names at the bottom of the screen, no inner-monologues, etc). Jar Jar is just another part of this - he is a homage to the classic Saturday morning cartoon characters we know and love. If it didn't look out of place we'd probably see Jar Jar opening a miniature umbrella to protect himself from a falling anvil. He falls over, he talks funny, his eyes pop out, let's face it he is a pure cartoon. So that is the real reason Jar Jar is in Star Wars - it is part of George Lucas' attempt to fit at least a passing reference to every film genre there has been into Star Wars, his movie about movies.

Admiral Vostok, Star Wars Scholar and Lord of the Star Wars Purists.

Check out Admiral Vostok's plan for a new Star Wars RTS
Admiral Vostok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2003, 08:49 AM   #23
LiMP RABBiT

I just hated him because a funny accent and a stupid creature dont make a film funny. And he wouldnt shut up.

PS. Shut ya cake hole Vostok

LiMP RABBiT is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2003, 02:27 PM   #24
pleto4_ryan

Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral Vostok
Star Wars is and always has been a movie about movies. It is an amalgam of genres, and that is precisely what George Lucas set out to do. Apart from the obvious ones like Science Fiction, Fantasy, Romance and Adventure, Lucas has inserted little bit of genre-mixing in other parts - the start of A New Hope is straight out of a Western, the extended musical seen in Jabba's Palace in ROTJ:SE was finally as lavish as the Musicals Lucas wanted to acknowledge, the detective story and lighting techniques of Attack of the Clones are conventional Film Noir, and every Episode is shot intentionally in a documentary-like format (no place names at the bottom of the screen, no inner-monologues, etc). Jar Jar is just another part of this - he is a homage to the classic Saturday morning cartoon characters we know and love. If it didn't look out of place we'd probably see Jar Jar opening a miniature umbrella to protect himself from a falling anvil. He falls over, he talks funny, his eyes pop out, let's face it he is a pure cartoon. So that is the real reason Jar Jar is in Star Wars - it is part of George Lucas' attempt to fit at least a passing reference to every film genre there has been into Star Wars, his movie about movies.
never thought at the star wars as this.....

hm....yes...it is true....and i may say i don't like the "copied" films ....but if you look at it , it is not copy,...

Claudia

Un-break my heart...
Old 08-30-2003, 04:02 PM   #25
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Episode 3 = horror eheheh

Old 08-31-2003, 01:42 AM   #26
Eva
Rookie

I think he annoying as hell too i just started really liking Star Wars after espisode one.Great movie at that but he made no sense why he was in it .Acourse i have watch the first three Star Wars movie and got who was the comic in those.Jar-Jar just stuipd and has nothing to do with the movie.
Eva is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2003, 01:57 AM   #27
ZBomber
Dual Wielding Wiimotes

Current Game: Super Smash Bros 4 Wii U
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by wassup
I think people, especially the old SW fans who loved the classic trilogy, hated Jar-Jar because they felt his character was aimed at a younger, less mature audience. The older fans felt betrayed by Lucas by including such a poor character and decided to let their rants out.
I was 9 when I saw it. I did not laugh. I was tramtized for life......

Last.FM - Ow, give up the funk
Let the truth of love be lighted
Let the love of truth shine clear
Sensibility
Armed with sense and liberty
With the heart and mind united
In a single perfect sphere
ZBomber is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2003, 11:31 AM   #28
pleto4_ryan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynk Former
Episode 3 = horror eheheh
and slasher....

i imagine how the jedis are all gonna be locked inside a basement and waiting for their death.
a murder every minute by the crazy-murderer with the mask

Claudia

Un-break my heart...
Old 08-31-2003, 11:44 PM   #29
wassup

Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral Vostok
Well anyone who hates Jar Jar just isn't a true Star Wars fan as far as I'm concerned. I love him, he's one of my favourite characters.

But there is a reason he is in Star Wars other than for plot purposes. I think of myself as a Star Wars Scholar, so I'll enlighten the rest of you.

Nerd Alert Nerd Alert (j/k hehe )

Good, insightful analogy.

Quote:
Originally posted by ZBomber
I was 9 when I saw it. I did not laugh. I was tramtized for life......
Well I tend to consider LFers abnormally mature...er...i mean...more mature.
wassup is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2003, 01:14 PM   #30
vegietto

i don't jar jar i like him i think he is cool i like him better then c-3p0
but r2-d2 is better then both

Thanks to joetheeskimo05 for the sig!

Under the great training of Zbomber
vegietto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2003, 01:24 PM   #31
Sivy
coming soon

Forum Veteran 
mesa don't hate jar-jar.
Sivy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2003, 10:55 PM   #32
GrimDan
Rookie

I dont think he is cute but he is funny I dont see why people hate him eather.
GrimDan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2003, 09:21 PM   #33
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

I can see why people hate him, but personally I never minded him, I had a stronger disliking for Jake Lloyd than for Jar Jar lol.

But anyway, sure he is a clumsy person who doesn't seem fully aware of what's going on all the time. But he did manage to unite the Naboo and the Gungans, although by accident, for a clumsy fellow he has alot of luck.
And about the downfall of the republic thanks to Jar-Jar, like others said, he just mentioned the idea, it was up to the other senators to agree or disagree, but they practically unanymously agreed.

For the same matter it might have been Padme who was asked/forced to suggest it if she didn't run away. Let's see the Portman fans bash her if that were the case XD

And as a final point in defense of all the Gungans, and as a pointer to those who hate comic relief characters, not all Gungans are like Jar-Jar, if we look at Captain Tarpals he seemed like a cunning warrior.
But ofcourse most of us define an entire Star Wars species by the examples we get, for example we saw Chewie as the first Wookiee, and from there on we thought that all Wookiees were tough and cool like he was. But for the same matter there might be a pacifist Wookiee somewhere on Kashyyyk hehe.
Anyways
[/end rant]
Pedro The Hutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2003, 04:54 AM   #34
Admiral Vostok
Lord of Star Wars Purists

Exactly right, Pedro.

As a semi-related anecdote: One of my best friends dislikes Jar Jar, though he can give me no logical reason why. So just to annoy him I bought this great Jar Jar T-Shirt (not one of those little-jid ones, you know) to wear all the time. It really pissed him off. Quite amusing.

Admiral Vostok, Star Wars Scholar and Lord of the Star Wars Purists.

Check out Admiral Vostok's plan for a new Star Wars RTS
Admiral Vostok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2003, 12:48 PM   #35
darth small
Rookie

the only parts i liked were when jar jar stepped in the turd walking into mos espa and when the beast of burden(what were those weird looking dodo things anyway?) farted on him otherwise nothing else he did was funny.
darth small is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2003, 06:48 AM   #36
Shado Vorn
Rookie

I tried to sell the idea of a bonk the Jar Jar on the head with a sledge hammer game to GL, but for some reason it didn't fly ... something about angry Star Wars fans breaking the heads off and using them as their own personal soccer balls or something along those lines ...

Actually to tell the truth, if I were playing the game and heard him say -

"HAHA! YOUSA MISSDA MEESA!"

- I would probably start using my fists instead of the foam hammer. Die Jar Jar. May Vader make your death a painful one in E3, even if it's not supposed to happen.
Shado Vorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2003, 08:46 PM   #37
amadeus

I didn't hate him, but I didn't see much point to him. He was pretty loud and obnoxious, and I wouldn't have minded if he wasn't in the movie. Besides the fact that he was a CGI.

amadeus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2003, 07:45 PM   #38
LiMP RABBiT

We don't really 'hate' him we just... just... Ohh forget it we do hate him, with a passion.

Old 10-16-2003, 07:14 AM   #39
quickbeam
Lurker

I've noticed that the in the newer Star Wars films, the REALLY REALLY stupid, greedy, clumsy, and selfish characters all have some sort of accent that originates elsewhere besides england. The viceroy of the trade federation, a kniving (sp?), selfish, and gutless character has a non-english accent. The cruel and heartless slavedriver Watto also has a non-english accent. The insanely dumb leader of the Gunguns (again with the sp?) has a non-english accent. AND TO TOP IT OFF, the stupidest most annoying prick in the entire star wars genre has an overly done Jamaican accent. George decided to make all the idiots and evil-doers in his movies seem as if to come from other races, and that makes me mad. Because of that, the character known as Jar Jar Binks is very insulting to me.

No statement should be made, theological or otherwise, that would not be credible in the presence of burning children. -Irving Greenburg
quickbeam is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-16-2003, 03:57 PM   #40
LiMP RABBiT

Ive made similar racial implications to the new star wars films, but people just laughed at me. So HA everybody else, someone agrees with me.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Prequel Trilogy > Why do you hate Jar-Jar?